Chapter 5 - What Now?

Wei Ying's eyes fluttered open, although his sight may appear a bit blurry, he knew in an instant, he was not home. The strange room seemed too bland for it to be home, with white wall from one end to the next, Wei Ying didn't bother to ponder too much on his surroundings, for the ache on his neck was too much of a distraction to fret. 

The pain felt as though he'd been burned until the flesh peeled itself off, leaving an exposed blister raging against the fresh air. That and yelling filled the air. Both voices sounded familiar, one more than the other. It was Jiang Cheng, and Lan Zhan Wei Ying recognized. 

What on earth were they arguing about? 

That's right - last night. 

The memories came flooding back like a tidal wave. Lan Zhan had bitten him and almost severed his head from the rest of his body. It was cruel, but Wei Ying should've expected that when he'd decided on entering Lan Zhan's home unguarded. 

Wei Ying groaned, slapping a hand gently to his bandaged neck, "Jiang Cheng?" Wei Ying muttered, gaining back some of his vision, "Lan Zhan? What's going on?" 

Both Lan Zhan and Jiang Cheng speed walked over, "Wei Ying, how are you feeling," Lan Zhan was the first to ask, taking a seat upon the bed beside Wei Ying.

"You stay out of this," Jiang Cheng barked, his voice filled with resentment as he shoved Lan Zhan off the bed and away from his injured brother, "Move. You Don't get to worry." 

Lan Zhan sighed. He wanted to protest. Wanted to give Jiang Cheng a piece of his mind. However, he knew he was in no position to make such a claim. So instead of arguing, Lan Zhan complied, shifting away from the bed so an angry Jiang Cheng could inspect his brother better. 

Last night after he'd bitten Wei Ying to the point of almost killing him, Lan Zhan got so afraid. Every inch of Lan Zhan was trembling at what he'd done. He'd always been a fortress, but last night he crumbled. 

When he'd finally snapped out of his trance, Lan Zhan rushed Wei Ying to his bed and did something he'd only ever done once a long time ago when his brother got injured from a rogue werewolf attack. He took Wei Ying's pain away, transferring it into his own body - a unique ability only born werewolves could accomplish, though it wasn't much, it would help ease Wei Ying's injury.

Disoriented and worried, the werewolf didn't know what else to do. It was the first time he'd ever done something so, preposterous - apart from killing an alpha werewolf to gain the wolf's alpha status, that is. 

But Wei Ying was no alpha. Lan Zhan wanted to believe Wei Ying was special. Wei Ying felt special, so special that Lan Zhan was willing to reveal himself, in hopes it would be of some help to Wei Ying.

Afraid Wei Ying would die on him, Lan Zhan first called his brother for assistance. Lan Xichen had assured him everything would be alright and to remain calm. His brother had even promised he would come the very next day, and Lan Zhan believed him. 

As for Wei Ying's brother, Jiang Cheng, Lan Zhan forced himself to go over the brothers' shared home and confessed what he'd done. 

When Jiang Cheng refused to believe him, saying Lan Zhan's prank wouldn't work on him. Lan Zhan revealed himself as a creature of the night to the younger brother. 

Glowing red eyes and descending fangs were all it took for Jiang Cheng to be convinced and faint immediately at the horrifying spectacle. However, not long after he'd gained back consciousness, Jiang Cheng wasn't too pleased. So ever since then, both men had been bickering at each other nonstop. And Lan Zhan was wrapped in too much guilt to argue back.