Chapter 17 - Soulmate

The attic door flew open, followed by a gust of wind. Heaving from lack of breath, Xichen barged in, grasping the concept he might stumble upon a possible soulmate scenario. Yet the idea felt so unreal it made Xichen stop for a moment then stumbled a step back in shock when his silver orbs clashed with Wei Ying's unfamiliar own. 

Sometimes Lan Xichen assumed he knew too much, and this was one of those times. Unlike most werewolves, Xichen grew up learning things that were once deemed forgotten or lost to the werewolf species. After Lan Zhan parted ways at just the tender age of eighteen, Xichen spent the remainder of his life studying ancient scriptures and texts about his kind. Only recently, when he'd met Nie Mingjue, had he left his studying behind to start a new life with the one he grew to love. 

It has been taught that a true-alpha was the strongest amongst werewolves. A true-alpha was said to be someone who could gain the alpha status without taking the life of another alpha. Clear conciseness. Pure of heart and mind as to say. 

The truth, however, of the most potent and most dominant was soulmates. Soulmates were no mystery to werewolves, but they were so unique, most believed they were merely myths. The thought of them being mere fables crossed Xichen's mind once or twice. Until now, that is. 

Wei Ying panted while tears trekked down his eyes. Bones cracked, and Wei Ying twisted, toppling against the cold hardened floors. "Lan Zhan," Wei Ying breathed out, unaware of Xichen's presence, "Are you alright? Did I hurt you - ah - Lan Zhan! Lan Zhan, I feel like I'm going to die, my body - ah - it's numb. Lan Zhan, make it stop!"

Frustrated and disoriented, Lan Zhan watched as Wei Ying's limbs intertwined and bones break. Glancing toward his brother, he quickly wiped the trail of blood spill off his nose before creeping on his hands and knees over to Wei Ying. "It's alright, Wei Ying. You didn't hurt me. Just breathe, okay?" Lan Zhan replied hastily, pulling Wei Ying in his arms as the younger man groaned in agony. "We'll get through this together. you just have to bear it for a little white, just a little while." 

The two brothers shared another glace before Xichen rushed nearer, crouching down next to Wei Ying. With his hand on Wei Ying's sweaty forehead, Xichen inspected the transforming wolf. "Get the chains," Xichen voiced when Wei Ying struck out another scream, weaker than the previous, and drew himself off Lan Zhan's embrace. "Hurry!"

Lan Zhan swallowed the lump down his throat, nodded, and did what was asked of him. 

When he came back agitated, Lan Zhan's hands shook as he held onto the massive bulk of construction chains, not knowing what to do next. When Wei Ying arched his back and let loose a pitiful wail, his spine swelled, and he threw up for a second time, "What's happening to him, brother?" Lan Zhan asked as fear of uncertainty filled his mind, rendering him unfit to do much. "Why is he acting this way? I've never seen newly turned wolves behave like this. Brother, don't tell me he's dying? What shall we do?"

"Not dying." Xichen grabbed the chains off of Lan Zhan's hands, "Hold him down for me A'zhan, I need to check his eyes for something, just to confirm my speculations."

Lan Zhan complied. Neglecting Wei Ying's trashing and whining, Xichen opened an eye. "His eyes," Xichen gasped, "Just as I thought. A'zhan, look at his eyes, they're flashing purple. Do you know what this means?"

Lan Zhan nodded, "What does it mean?"

"Let's hurry and get him chained up. I'll explain when we're done," Xichen replied, a little overwhelmed about his discovery. "And A'zhan? I heard everything you've been telling me for the past weeks - hold him down and don't let him slip away from you."