Chapter 25

Banner is made by fathomthestars_ (:

***

Where are you?

        It was a simple text, yet terrifying at the same time. I could literally hear my heartbeat racing, as my heart pounded against my chest. Taking a deep breath, I clenched my sweaty palms together, as I held my phone tighter in my other hand.

        Exhaling, I opened my eyes to see another text message from Bradlee.

        Av? What happened? Hunter told me you were sick.

        I bit my lips, tapping my thumbs anxiously on my keyboard. Shit. What the hell should I even say to that? Maybe I should just ignore him and pretend I didn’t get it or—

        “What’s wrong?” Skylar asked, concern itching his voice. I paused mid-thought, cranking my neck around slowly to see his light eyes filled with worry. “You’d been staring at your phone for a while now . . .”

        “I—um, I don’t . . .” I started rambling before I gave out a loud sigh in defeat, and showed him the messages. His eyes squinted slightly as he read the messages before understanding dawned on his face.  

        “Are you afraid of him now?” he asked quietly, watching me with calculating eyes. “You know we’re not sure about anything yet . . .”

        “I know, I just—” I paused, gathering up my thoughts, —“everything points to him, you know?”

        He lifted his brows in thought. “Do you honestly believe it’s him?”

        “I don’t even know anymore,” I told him honestly, as I pictured Bradlee’s face—his smile, those kind eyes of his, and his adorable dimples. I could stare at him for hours if I could. Just the thought of him alone made my breath hitched and my pulse excellerate. I knew I couldn’t deny it anymore. No matter how much I wanted to run away, no matter how much I knew I shouldn’t like him, I do. But then reality comes crashing down when I realized who I was thinking about. A suspect. A suspect that may have murdered six different girls in the last three months no less. A freaking serial killer for God sakes! And yet the feelings I get, were the same feelings I had when I was with that bastard. Maybe even more powerful, and that's saying something since I knew Dennis since I was little.

        “Lily—” he started saying before my phone buzzed, bringing my attention back to the small device. Seeing the words, Please Av. Answer me under his name practically skyrocketed my pulse rate. Feeling my cheeks heating up, I was completely and utterly conflicted. On one hand I was scared shitless but on the other hand I couldn’t help but be drawn to him. He sounded genuinely worried about me, and somehow that made me feel special. Special to know that I was the only one he’d actually cared for outside of his family. To know I was actually causing him these feelings warmed my heart.

        “Just answer him Lily,” Skylar said, probably seeing the confliction written across my face. I chewed on my bottom lip slowly, a bit unsure of what to do, but when he sent me a sad face a second later, I immediately rushed to answer him. Imagining his droopy eyelids, and his lips pulled down in a frown caused a stir in my heart—shattering any feelings of doubt I had. I knew I needed to answer him.

        I’m fine. I think it’s just some flu or something. Don’t worry about it. I quickly typed out before hitting send. I didn’t have to wait long before I received his reply:

        Where are you? I’m coming over.

        I gulped seeing his message. Shifting my eyes out the window nervously, I saw the street Warren blurred by quickly. Even if I wanted to tell him where I was, I honestly had no idea where I was going. For all I knew Demitri was going around in circles but then again it’s not like I knew my way around my neighborhood anyways. Every time I had to go somewhere, someone was always there to drive me to my desired location.