Chapter 32

The text message—you're a fucking liar, Lily. 

His harsh voice—you're a fucking liar.

His whispers at my cousin's' apartment—Lily.

Everything. It all added up. Bradlee was the only one who knew my real name. He has to be the killer. He practically said the exact same thing the killer sent me not to long ago! I should've known. I should've known everything he had said was a lie. The smiles, the laughs, the kinds words—everything was a fucking lie. Why didn't I see this before? Why was my stupid brain clouded up with these damn feelings of mine?!

Bradlee's cold eyes wavered for a split second seeing the wheels turning in my head. He knew. He slowly reached his hand up, calling my name before I smacked his hand away. He flinched slightly at the light smack, looking like I'd smacked him across the face.

He stared at me for what seemed like forever before his eyes filled with sorrow and despair, not knowing what to do. I used that moment to my advantage and ran. Ran like the wind, running past a very confused looking Hunter and an equally confused Ailee.

Before I got too far, I heard pounding footsteps behind me. Knowing exactly who that was, my heartbeat quicken in panic, screaming into the device wrapped around my hand.

"This would be an awesome time to fucking get me!"

Knowing that they heard me, but couldn't do anything since I was in a public mall, I grumbled under my breath, looking for the quickest escape route. Seeing the girl's bathroom up ahead, I made a run for it. I was quick enough to lock the door, before Bradlee's body smashed into it, knocking me off balance. Landing on my butt, I groaned, rubbing the sore spot on my back. I glared at the door separating us. That jerk.

"I know you're in there, so open the door."

I scoffed. Like hell I would. "Leave me alone, you freaking liar!"

"Avery." His rapid pounding on the door increased. "Open the door right now!" "No!"

"Avery." My heart twisted up, hearing his broken sob. "Please open up so I can see you. I need to see you Avery. Please," he begged, his voice crumbling. "I c-can't hear you otherwise."

"Shut up!" I shouted, covering my ears. I didn't give a damn if he had no idea what I was saying. "Stop pretending to care now that I know your sick, twisted secret!"

"Avery," he cried in pain, sounding like he was choking from his tears. I paused, hearing that. W-was he crying? I shook my head, ignoring his shouts. No, Lily, no. Don't fall for his act! He's just lying to you. "Please Avery, just let me explain."

"I don't want to hear your excuses you murderer!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, begging someone—anyone to get me out of this place. I couldn't listen to his sobs anymore. I couldn't listen to his excuses anymore. Otherwise I'll start falling for his lies again. And knowing me, I'll start believing him.

"I thought you were using me," he suddenly confessed. My breath hitched, as I turned my head at the door in confusion. What did he say? "I saw it, you know. The other day when I was over at your place, that guy, he had a badge." I sucked in a breath at the memory; where we'd almost kissed. "I knew the minute I saw it, you were only playing a character. An undercover spy, I had thought." My eyes went wide, my body rooted to the dirty bathroom floor. He freaking knew! Was that why he ran away and wasn't in school for days?

"Y-you knew?" My voice was barely above a whisper.

"At first I didn't want to believe it," he continued his explanation, probably not hearing me. "But after piecing all the facts together, I knew you were here for one reason, and one reason only. It was too much of a coincidence. You were only here to carry out your assignment. You pretended to be my friend. You pretended to care about me. You pretended to like me. And being the fool I was, I fell for it." He paused, before I heard a quiet slam against the door, followed by a defeated sigh. "And what's worst, you pegged me as the killer."