Chapter 45

Isabella. John.

My hands wrapped around the pager tightly as I thought about my siblings. A surge of adrenaline pierced through my heart, unloading in an instant. There's no way he knows. It's impossible. How could he even know where they live? He couldn't have tracked them down already—could he?

As I thought about the possibilities of what ifs, my head started spinning out of control. My breaths came out in short pants, feeling my ribs heave as if they were bound by ropes.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I took a few steps back. Feeling a hard chest behind me, I turned around. My eyes made contact with Al's. His dark eyes bore into mine—seamlessly telling me it's going to be all right. His large hands clamped over my shoulder, putting pressure on the spot.

Breathing heavily, my voice came out soft and distant. "H-he knows."

Al's lips drew up into a thin line as he read the message on the device. Not leaving my side, he stayed close to me as he looked at Asher's sister.

"Sweetie, can we talk to your Nanny?"

She chewed on her bottom lips, clutching her sleeve in her hands. "She's sleeping."

"I know, Sweetie. But we need to see her," Al pushed hastily. "It's urgent."

"I-I don't know," she voiced quietly. "My brother said not to let strangers into the house."

"But we're not strangers," Al said, smiling down at her. "Avery knows Asher at school. They're really great friends."

I nodded, keeping the bile down at the mention of Asher's name. I still couldn't believe it. How could someone be so deceiving and yet, act so innocent at the same time? Asher was the last person I would ever consider to be a serial killer—let alone a rapist.

If he actually did raped those girls, does that mean, his sexuality was a lie too? Was he only pretending to like Ian, so he wouldn't be caught? And what about Annemarie? She was so sweet—so welcoming when I'd first arrived at school. Since she was Megan's friend, I trusted her.

I shook my head. Megan's gonna be really devastated when she learns the truth . . .

"—I guess you can come in . . ." I caught the end of Mimi's sentence as I tuned back into the conversation. When Mimi opened the door, Al gently guided me inside, making sure to stay close behind me.

Seeing the grand staircase on my far right, I glanced up seeing the spacious living room. The area was carpeted with silk rugs, while the walls were filled with decorative paintings. Besides that, the living room was nearly empty save for the couch and flat screen TV. There was no personal items—in fact there wasn't even one family picture of the McAdams' anywhere in sight.

Feeling a tap on the top of my back, I was about to turn around when I saw Al's face getting closer to mine.

"Let me have the device," Al whispered near my ear, making sure Mimi couldn't hear our conversation. "I'll let you know when he sends another message."

Glancing down at the item in my hand, I quickly handed the object over to him. He clipped it to his waist belt, tucking his shirt over it.

"Do I—" I started to ask, fidgeting with my fingers. "Do I really have to go? I mean if I have to, I will. I don't want any of my—"

"Don't worry about that now," he cut my sentence short. "When the time comes, your cousins and I will protect you, even if it cost us our lives."

I lowered my head, not knowing what else to say. Would they really give up their lives just for me? I mean, before a month ago, I barely even knew Demitri or Skylar. Hell, I didn't even believe they were my cousins in the first place. So, why would they risk their lives just to save me? Especially Al who wasn't even related to me? I was just a client to him.