Chapter 47

"I thought he would never shut up."

Lowering her gun, Annemarie stared at Asher lying on the floor. Blood poured out of his shoulder, as he struggled to catch his breath. At first the blood came out thick and strong, flowing through his fingers as he clasped the ripped flesh. The scarlet blood lashed over the floor, as Asher laid there. The blood spread into his white t-shirt, the bright red quickly darkening. Feeling the very fluid of his life draining, I rushed over towards him. Taking my jacket off, I clamped it down on his shoulder. Applying pressure, I saw the slight movement of his eyes, as he tried to look at me.

"W-why," he managed to choke out.

"I'm only saving you, so I can see your ass behind bars." He let out a chuckle that sounded more like a violent cough. He nodded his head a moment later, before he continued to stare up at the ceiling, his eyes closed.

"I don't g-g-get it," he said.

"Seriously? After all you'd done, I can't let you fucking die! It's too easy—"

His eyes flashed open. "No—Anna." My mouth closed shut, remembering the person who actually shot Asher. Cranking my neck around, I saw her being constrained by Al. Both Skylar and Demitri were nowhere to be seen.

"Don't you fucking Anna me, Asher," she shouted, her dark hair a wild mess. Suddenly she seemed a lot more crazier than Asher a moment ago. "You know exactly why I did it. I wish you were fucking dead! I can't believe I missed your damn heart. You should be dead right now, Asher, you should be dead!"

"Miss, you need to calm down—" Al started to say, when she backhanded Al, and hit him square in the eye. He grunted, but otherwise didn't move.

"No, you don't understand!" she cried. "Asher made me do it. He made me find those victims for him. He said if I didn't, he'll kill my dad, and my dad—he's the only person I have left right now. He's already dealing with a lot of health issues, and I-I-had to go along with it to keep him safe." She locked eyes with me, her face red and blotchy. "Please, Lily, you have to believe me. I was roped into this! I would never harm anyone on purpose."

"What about Bradlee and Ashleigh?" I questioned, arching my brow at her. "And those photos in your room?"

"That was all Asher. He planted those photos in my room, and he made me kidnap them! I know this doesn't excuse anything, and I'll pay the price. I swear I will, but I promise you, both Bradlee and Ashleigh are safe. I made sure they were well taken care of."

"You bitch!" Asher croaked out. He used what strength he had left, and pushed me away from him. He stood up slowly, his breathing rigid. "I knew you didn't love me. I'm going to—" Whatever he was going to say next died off, when his eyes rolled over. His body collapsed on to the floor, as he let out a loud roar. "You'll pay for this," was his last words as his eyes closed shut.

Al let go of Annemarie, and rushed over to Asher. Checking his pulse, he looked up at me.

"He's alive, but barely." Al reached behind his back, and pulled out his handcuffs. Locking Asher's hands together, he lifted Asher up. Being careful of his wound, he swung his arm over Asher's shoulder. "I'm going to bring the suspect to the nearest hospital. At this point, we can't afford to wait for the ambulance."

"What about Bradlee and Ashleigh?"

"Demitri and Skylar are searching for them now." Al glanced over at Annemarie. "I still don't trust you, so I'm going to have to cuff you as well."

"I swear I'm telling you guys the truth!" she frantically shouted at us. "Asher made me do it! I told you I did it for my—"

"—she's telling the truth." My head turned around when I heard Ashleigh's voice. That was when I saw Bradlee standing next to her. Seconds pass, as my brain took in his form. I struggled to comprehend that I wasn't just seeing things—that he's real. Even though my brain was numb, my body moved on its own accord and ran towards him. When my hand touched his face, his mouth paints a soft smile. The familiar warmth of his body met mine, giving me hope that he was okay; that Annemarie wasn't lying.