Chapter 11

"Hello?" 

        Hearing a string of curses, and a groan, I tried to make out the voices on the other end. All I heard was someone saying my name but I knew for a fact that it wasn't my boyfriend's voice. The voice was way too deep to belong to Dennis. I didn't even had the chance to figure it out before the line went dead. 

        "What happened?" Megan asked, probably hearing the loud bang not even a second ago. 

        "I'm not exactly sure..." I told her the truth. "I was just talking to Dennis like I normally do, and then I heard weird noises before I heard another guy's voice. And then the phone went dead."

        She shrugged, her shoulders rolling up. "It's probably one of his roommates."

        I bit my lip. "I don't know..." 

        "Look," Megan started, reading me too well. She could probably tell I was feeling really anxious about this. "At least it's not a girl's voice you're hearing, right?" 

        "Yeah." I nodded after a while. "You're right. But I'm still a bit worried. I mean those noises..."

        "Call him again," she suggested. 

        "I don't know, what if he's still—"

        "Who cares, you're his girlfriend. If it's just his roommate, he'll answer it."

        Making up my mind, I nodded my head. Unlocking my phone, I dialed his number. Shaking my foot—a nervous habit of mine—it rang three times before Dennis picked up.

        "Hey Lily," he spoke, his voice a bit rough. My eyes narrowed at that. Is he cheating? "I'm so sorry I hung up on you. My roommate came in asking if I wanted to go on a beer run with him. When I told him no, he practically tackled me towards the ground, and stole my phone from me. Even now, he's making fun of me for ditching him to talk to my girlfriend."

        "Oh." I blew out a sigh of relief when I heard the clear chuckle in the background. He's not cheating. "That's okay. Go. We can talk later."

        "Um, you sure?" 

        "Of course!" I exclaimed, "go have fun with your friend."

        "Alright." I could picture his dazzling smile, smiling at me right now. "Thanks baby. I'll talk to you later. Love you."

        "I love you too," I whispered before ending the call. 

        "So...?" Megan asked with smug look. "Was I right? Or was I right?"

        I rolled my eyes at her. "Yes. You were right. It was just his roommate wanting to hang out with him."

        "Told you! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head upstairs and practice my new songs. I'll see you later tonight for dinner."

        "Alright, but don't play too loudly! I have homework too you know!" I shouted at her, laughing quietly. 

        I heard her chuckle, as her shoes clicked every time she jumped from step to step. "I'll try but no promises!" 

        "Try harder!" I yelled, as I ran after her. 

        "Again no promises."

        I shook my head, chuckling under my breath. I knew for her fact, she'll live up to her non-promise.