Chapter 5

“Of course not,” I managed to said with a straight face. Megan automatically frowned, tilting her head to the right. Her eyes narrowed down trying to see through my lie, and when she caught the little grin on my face, she punched my shoulder lightly.

        “Ha-ha, very funny Lily.” Even though she was rolling her eyes at me, I could see the small smile on her face.

        “What?” I asked innocently. “I wanted to see if you saw through my little lie.”

        “I wasn’t fooled one bit,” Megan pressed; though I could tell by the high pitch squeak at the end of her sentence that she was in fact tricked for a second or so. I kept my eyes on her, until she started wavering under my intense stare and admitted the truth.

        “Okay fine.” She sighed. “When you came out, I didn’t believe it was you, but when you spoke, I recognized your voice.”

        My eyes widened slightly. That’s right. My Voice. Would the three suspects know my voice too? I haven’t done any acting since I was a child, but then again my voice hasn’t changed that much. It’s just a mature version of my old voice. But then again guys doesn’t really pay attention to those tiny details anyways. And by the way they acted, and their personalities alone, I doubt they have even seen my acting, let alone know what my voice sounded like.

        I was about to reply when Demitri’s voice caught my attention. “Lily, take note of this. Even though Megan is a close friends of yours, you can’t brush the fact that other people may know your voice too. So try to deepen your voice just a bit. You have a very soft voice so if you deepen it just a bit, and maybe talk a bit louder, it will probably change it enough to mask your real voice.”

        “Got it.” I smiled, following his instructions. When I saw Demitri nodding in approval I knew I had the voice down. I silently thanked my parents for putting me through acting classes when I was little. Changing your voice was just like changing acting roles in films. You just need to know your part well and you can execute anything perfectly.

        “Lily, sweetie,” my mom said, coming to my side. “Are you sure you want to do this? This isn’t exactly what you call safe.”

        “Mom,” I voiced, relaxing my shoulders as I gave out an audible breath. “Calm down. I already went over this with Dad. I need to do this. I know it’s not the safest situation to be in, but Demitri and Skylar will be there too. And plus Megan will as well. It’s just school. It’s not like I will be truly alone with those guys. There’s probably security guards and cameras posted in every corner.” I looked at Megan out of the corner of my eye, enlarging them a bit and gave her the help signal. She stepped in the moment she saw my pleading look.

        “Lily’s right Mrs. Ace. There’s cameras and security guards posted on every floor and area throughout the whole school. She’s safe.”

        “Yeah and you know us. We’ll protect her auntie,” Demitri added, as Skylar smiled in agreement.