Episode 2

<a few days later> <first day of Junior year> <monday> <7am>

(Zach) Zach opens his locker and starts putting some books in. He then hears giggling and turns to his right to see Zoey down the hall talking to the same guy he saw her with a few days ago.

"You haven't talked to her yet have you?" Dean sighed.

Zach was startled and slammed his locker causing a few people to stare at him. Dean, who was leaning against the locker next to him like always, chuckles. Zach playfully punched his chest trying not to laugh.

"Way to sneak up on someone."

Dean continued to laugh.

"Cut it out." Zach said as he started to laugh.

"Okay okay."

He stopped laughing and looked at Zoey and the guy she was with.

"Isn't he on the baseball team? Because if so he's hella lucky I mean think about all of the girls-" He stopped himself as he saw Zach was shooting him a death glare. "Sorry." He apologized.

"It's fine."

"Zach, you seriously need to talk to her."

Zach shook his head as he threw his backpack over his shoulders and started walking away.

"So what? Your plan is to avoid this?" Dean said as he caught up with Zach. Zach nodded and looked at Dean.

"Works for me."

Zoey then spotted Zach.

"Zach!" She hollered as she began to jog towards him. The two of them turned their heads. Zach sighed and Dean patted the back of Zach's shoulder.

"And how's that plan working out for you?" Dean mocked. Zach shot Dean a mocking face and Dean just chuckled and walked away.

<intro cuts in>

<7pm>

(Rory) Rory and Jess were exiting Miss Patty's. Jess put his arm around her as they walked. As they got closer to Luke's, Rory noticed a dark blue car parked across from Luke's.

"Hey Jess, whose car is that?" Rory asked. Jess acknowledged the car and shrugged.

"Beats me."

They entered Luke's.

"Hey, three coffees to go?" Luke asked.

"Yes please." Rory responded cheerfully.

"Luke whose car is that?" Jess asked pointing outside. Luke handed Rory her to go cups and turned to Jess.

"It's yours." Luke responded.

Jess raised a brow. "Mine?" Jess asked as he pointed a finger to himself.

"Yes." Luke answered.

"You bought me a car?" Jess asked with confusion.

"Yes, didn't I just say that?" Luke said.

"Is this some kind of bribery or something?" Jess continued to question him a little more defensively.

"No it's not a bribe. If you don't want it then-"

"No I'll take it...thanks I guess."

"You're welcome." Luke said as he threw Jess the keys. He put them in his pocket and kissed Rory before heading upstairs.

"Thanks Luke." Rory said with a grin before taking off with the three coffees.

(Zach) Zach and Zoey were talking outside of Miss Patty's while Lorelai was talking with Babette.

"Hey you seemed quiet in there. Is something bothering you?" Zoey asked him with a concern look on her face. Zach just looked at her and shrugged.

"Nope."

"Zach." Zoey sighed.

"I'm fine, Zo. Really I'm fine." He insisted. Zoey just nodded.

<the next day> <lunch>

(Zach) Dean and Zach were sitting across from each other. Dean watched Zach confusingly as Zach read a book while he ate. Dean then chucked a pea at him with his fork. Zach chuckled and closed his book.

"What are you? Four?" Zach said still laughing.

"Since when do you read anything for fun?" Dean asked.

"Since last night when Rory threw one at my face and told me to read it." Zach replied.

Dean chuckled. "Sounds like Rory."

Dean peered over Zach's shoulder and saw Zoey with Taylor and the guy from before.

"Maybe if she tries to talk to you I could soccer punch Jess as a diversion and you can make your grand escape." Dean suggested.

Zach let out a small chuckle and looked at Dean. "Tempting. But I'm supposed to be nice to him remember? So I don't think letting you off your leash is going to make Rory very happy with me." Zach told him.

"Eh it was worth a try."

The bell rang and Dean and Zach stood up quickly and threw their backpacks over their shoulders.

"Oh and don't forget to sign up for tryouts." Dean reminded him as they picked up their trays.

"I'll sign up for them after school." Zach replied.

<after school> <<no pov>>

Zoey and Taylor are talking in the hallway by the entrance.

"He's not blowing you off, Zo. He's probably just got a lot on his mind with tryouts on Saturday." Taylor told her.

Zoey shook her head. "It's more than that. I've known him long enough to know when something's bothering him. I just don't know what." Zoey said. Taylor then acknowledges Zach down the hallway.

"There he is now so go talk to him."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? I don't want to pry..."

"Yes I'm sure now go."

Zoey nodded and followed Zach down the hallway.

"Hey!" She hollered as she caught up to him.

"Oh hey." Zach said sounding a little flustered. He stopped in front of where the football sign up sheet was and picked up the pen and signed his name.

"Zach?"

He put the pen down and looked at her.

"Is there something going on that I should know about?" She questioned.

Zach shrugged. "I don't know you tell me."

Zoey scoffed. "Don't give me that."

"Give you what?"

"The attitude."

"I'm not giving you an attitude."

"Whatever. Can you at least tell me why you've been blowing me off?"

"I'm not blowing you off."

"Yes you are. We've barely spoken for almost a week and you avoid me every chance you get."

"Have you ever thought that may be your fault."

Zoey crossed her arms. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked sounding offended.

"Hung out with any baseball boys lately?" Zach said then walked past her.

Zoey turned around and grabbed his arm turning him around.

"It's not what you think it is-"

"No? Then what the hell were you doing with him in town a few days ago?" Zach interrupted.

"His name is Oliver. He and Taylor have been talking for the past few weeks and he told me he really likes her and her birthday is this Friday so I was helping him find a gift." Zoey said in defense.

Zach let out a sigh. "I'm sorry."

Zoey shook her head. "Is this why you've been so distant?" Zoey questioned.

Zach nodded.

"That's insane you know I'd never cheat on you." She told him. Zach's eyes narrowed.

"Is me being scared of losing you so insane to you?"

Zoey sighed. "I just meant-"

"I know what it's like to be cheated on, Zo. To be used and tossed away like you meant nothing to someone. That's what my first relationship was and it broke me. Then I met you and I let my gaurd down. You've been so good to me and scares me. So I'm so sorry if me being constantly paranoid that I'm going to get my heart broken again is insane to you."

Zach quickly turned away and walked out the closest exit leaving Zoey standing there speechless.