Episode 14

<Monday> <before school>

(Zach) Zach walks down the empty hallway to his coach's office. The door was open so he stood at the doorway.

"Excuse me, sir. You texted me asking to come in before school?" Zach said nervously.

"Yes, have a seat." Coach Nelson told him. Zach did as he was told and sat down on the chair in front of his Coach's desk.

"Did I do something wrong?" Zach asked with the same nervous tone.

"It has been brought to my attention that you've been experiencing some difficulties in your personal life." Mr. Nelson said with a sympathetic look. Zach looked down at his fidgety hands and shifted anxiously in his seat.

Mr. Nelson leaned forward in his seat. "If you don't want to talk about it that's fine. It's your business."

Zach remained silent and avoided eye contact with him.

"I just want to make sure the way you're handling your problems isn't getting in the way of the big picture." He told him. Zach's brows furrowed and he glanced up at his coach.

At first he was confused then realized Dean must've told him.

"Dean told you. Didn't he?"

"He didn't have to. I know the signs. I wanted to see that you could snap out of it on your own, but once you started missing practice...that's when I knew something more was going on."

Zach smiled shyly and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah...sorry about that." He said.

"There's no need for apologies. I just want you to get better." Mr. Nelson replied.

"Am I free to go?" Zach asked.

"Yes you are free to go." His coach replied as he got up from his chair.

Zach stood up and walked towards the door.

"Hey Zach."

Zach turned around.

"My door's always open." Mr. Nelson smiled.

Zach smiled and nodded. "I'll see you at practice." He replied.

His coach just nodded and Zach left his office.

<the intro cuts in>

<after school> <6pm>

(Chloe) Chloe was in the bathroom blow drying her hair when the door swings open. Chloe jumps out of her skin and turned off the blow dryer.

"What the hell mom?!" Chloe exclaimed.

"Don't take that tone with me missy. You think I don't know it was you who took money out from my account?"

"What? I didn't take anything!"

"Liar!" Her mother yelled before storming out of her daughter's room. Chloe blinked back her tears and drew a breath. She then walked out of her room to Jenny's.

She knocked before entering. Jenny, who was doing homework on her bed, looked up at her with a smile. She then frowned when she saw the look on Chloe's face.

"Chloe I can explain..." Jenny began as Chloe moved closer to the bed and sat down next to her. Chloe looked at her sister and shook her head.

"I'm not mad at you." She said sofly with a genuine smile.

Chloe looks down at the baby blue bed spread, then let's out a deep sigh. "I can't live like this anymore, Jen..." She said softly. "I just can't take it anymore...I can't live here, with mom. Even if it is for one more year." She continued.

Jenny then pulls her sister into a hug and rubs her back as she starts to cry.

<<no pov>>

Rory and Lane are sitting on Lane's bed talking when they hear a knock on the bedroom door. Lane walks to the door and opens it. She was surprised  to find Zach standing there in front of her. Zach had been so distant, but she didn't want to push him.

"I'll be outside." Rory told them then left the room.

Lane let Zach in and shut the door. He sat on the edge of her bed and she sat next to him.

Zach began fiddling with his hands. "I'm here because I wanna talk." He spoke softly. "I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was trying to push you away." He apologized and Lane shook her head.

"You needed space so I was giving you space." She told him.

"Yes, but I shouldn't have bottled my emotions up like that I should've talked to someone-talked to you sooner."

Lane then grabbed gently underneath his chin and turned his head to face hers.

"You have no idea how much it pains me to see you go through this heartbreak again...But you can't always blame yourself for 'not doing better' or not 'being enough.'...Because you are trying your best to get by in this cruel world...And that's good enough for me." She told him.

He chuckled a little as Lane pulled him in for a hug.

Dean walks into his room shirtless and walks to his closet. He picks out a shirt and as he's pulling it over his head, he hears his phone ring. He walks over to his bedside table and pulls his phone off the charger and answers it.

"Hey." He answered. His brows furrowed and he smiled weirdly. "'Hey? That's all you have to say to me?'" He mimicked himself in a girly voice.

Chloe giggled.

"God I've been a terrible boyfriend. I've just been so worried about Zach lately-"

"You don't have to explain...I've been dealing with my own things as well."

"Your mom?" He asked as he wondered around his room.

"She thinks I stole money from her."

"Seriously?"

"Yup."

There was pause.

"Look, I need to tell you something. It's actually why I called." She said.

"What's up?"

"I'm leaving."

"What do you mean you're leaving?"

"I mean I've- we've accepted our grandmother's offer."

Dean remained silent.

"We just couldn't take living in that house anymore. I'm sorry."

"I'm the one who should be apologizing. I shouldn't have gotten so upset when you told me about the offer in the first place. It was stupid and immature...Chloe, you're happiness means everything to me." He told her. "And if moving away from that crazy mother of yours is going to make you happy then so be it."

Chloe had this huge smile on her face.

"When do you leave?" He asked her.

"My grandmother is supposed to pick us up at the house tomorrow before my mom gets back."

"That soon, huh?" He chuckled.

She drew a breath. "Yeah." She said softly.

"So I'll see you tomorrow I guess." He said.

"I'll see you tomorrow." She replied sorrowfully before hanging up.

<Control by Zoe Wees>

Zach walked out of Lane's house and met Rory at the end of the pathway.

"Hey Ror?" He spoke softly.

She turned to him. "I'm sorry that I've been a jerk to you lately and what happened to me is no excuse for that." He told her.

She smiled at him and hugged him. "I forgive you." She told him. He smiled and hugged her back.

After a moment they pulled away and Rory started to walk home.

"Are you coming?" She asked.

"There's something I've gotta do first. I'll see you back home." He replied.

Rory nodded already knowing where he was going.

Zach stopped in front of the house, took a deep breath, then headed towards the front door. He skipped up the steps and knocked on the door. After a moment the door opened and there stood Dean, his best friend. Zach frowned when he saw the slight bruising around Dean's left eye.

"Hey." Dean said, starting to smile.

"Hey." Zach began. "Can we talk?" His voice almost cracked.

"If this is about what I told coach-" Dean was interrupted by Zach wrapping his arms around his neck, hugging him tight.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." Zach repeated as he choked back his tears.

Dean hugged him back and remained silent as he held Zach in his arms. The absence of words and being held back told Zach everything he needed to know. That the two of them and everything else was going to be okay.