Episode 13

Continued...

Rory gave her brother a confused look.

"Jess? Why would you go to see Jess?" She asked him.

Zach closed his eyes and looked down. He drew a breath then looked back up at her. He shrugged and said, "Because I've been talking to him." He replied.

"Since when?"

Zach though a moment. "About a month after the accident." He said.

She stood there in disbelief.

"I was going to tell you-"

"Why are you even talking to him in the first place?"

Zach let out a sigh. "I ran into Jess at the diner while he was here to pick up his car. He planned on maybe staying for a few days...Then he saw you and...When I went to say goodbye he told me he was there if I needed someone to talk to...And then after dad left that voice-mail saying he was engaged...I called him." He told her.

Rory looked at him for a second then hugged him.         

Zach was confused.

"So you're not mad?"

"No. I'm happy you found someone you can really talk to." She said sincerely.

Zach smiled and hugged her back.

<the intro cuts in>

Rory knocks before she enters Zach's room. She sees him standing in front of his bedside table and he appears suspicious.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine."

"Okay well come on we're gonna be late."

"I'll be down in a minute."

Rory nodded and left the room shutting to door behind her. Zach turned around and finished pouring vodka into his hydro flask. He twisted the lid back on the bottle and shoved it under his bed. He put the lid on the hydro flask, put it on the side of his backpack, and left his room.

(Jenny) Jenny walks out of a bathroom stall and goes to wash her hands. As she's washing them, the bathroom door opens. Jenny glances up at the mirror and sees Brynn behind her. Jenny turns off the water, draws a breath, and turns around.

"What do you want?" She asks Brynn.

"I want to apologize."

"...for?"

Brynn starts rubbing her arm. "For being mean to you. You didn't deserve that." She said. Jenny didn't say anything at first.

"Thank you." Jenny smiled. Brynn gave her a confused look as Jenny left the bathroom. After she left Brynn looked herself in the mirror then smiled.

<after school>

(Rory) Rory opened the mailbox and took everything out of it and headed inside. She flipped through them as she entered the house and as she flipped she saw something addressed to her from her dad. She put the rest off the mail on the table where the voice machine was and went straight to her room. She closed the door, laid her backpack down by her desk, then proceeded to open the envelope.

She took out at card and saw it was an invitation to Sherry's baby shower next Sunday. Rory frowned and put the card back in the envelope and placed it in between one of her books.

<<no pov>>

Zach was at his locker anxiously drinking from his hydro flask. Dean gave him a confused look as he approached him.

"You okay?" Dean asked.

"Yeah I'm fine. Why does everyone keep asking me that?" Zach replied and then closed the lid. Dean continued to look at him funny. "What?" Zach chuckled.

Dean then swiped the bottle out of his hand. 

"Hey!" Zach exclaimed.

Dean opened the lid and sniffed. His nose scrunched and he backed his head away.

"What the hell, man?" Dean said firmly and closed the lid.

"Just hand it over." Zach said as he reached for the bottle, but Dean pulled the bottle away.

Suddenly, Zach's anger and frustration took over and he pushed Dean then punched him in the face so hard causing him to stumble backwards and fall to the ground.

"Zach!" Lane exclaimed as she pulled him away from Dean.

Dean didn't even look afraid or look at his best friend like he was crazy. He looked at him with sorrow, knowing his best friend was slipping.

<later that day>

Rory approaches Dean at his locker after their final class.

"Hey." Dean smiled.

"Hey."

Dean shut his locker and turned to her. He could tell she was hesitant on saying something.

"How are you doing?" She asked.

He drew a nervous breath. "If I'm being completely honest..." He said then started to shake his head. "I'm not okay." He blinked back his tears. "I mean he's my best friend, how could I have let this happen? He's slipping and he's holding on for dear life and I don't know if I can catch him before he falls." He told her then took a deep breath.

"Hey." She says. He looks at her.

"He's going to be okay." She tells him.

Dean nods and after a moment he clears his throat.

"So how are you doing?" He asks. She gives him a confused look.

"What?"

"How are you?" He repeats the question. "I mean I know you've got stuff going at home like with your dad and his new fiance." He says.

Rory shrugs. "I don't know...Yesterday I got an invitation to Sherry's baby shower."

"Are you gonna go?"

"I'm not sure I mean I haven't even told my mom yet and the only people I've told beside you is Lane."

"Gotcha."

There was a pause.

"Shoot I gotta get to practice." Dean said, noticing the time.

"Oh-yeah yeah of course." Rory said then turned to walk away.

"Hey." Dean said. Rory turned back to him. "You're going to be okay, too." He said with a smile. She smiled back at him.

(Zach) Zach came home to an empty house as Rory went over to Lane's after school. He walked down the hall into Rory's room to grab a pencil from her desk. When he grabbed one of the pencils from her pencil holder, he caught a glimpse of something in between one of her books. An envelope to be exact. With hesitation, he pulled it out. He opened it up and pulled out a card.

<<no pov>>

<4pm>

Rory walks into the house and hears music blasting from upstairs. She lets out a depressing sigh and continues to her room. She hangs her backpack on the back of her desk chair and leaves the room.

Zach was lying in his room listening to his music while he drank what was left of the vodka bottle. He heard a knock and scrambled to hide the alcohol and turn off the music. He moved swiftly to the door and swung it open.

"What?" He said coldly.

"We need to talk." She spoke softly.

"I think I'll pass." He said then attempted to shut the door.

She smacked her arm into the door to keep it from closing. He rolled his eyes at her as she walked into his room.

"Zach, listen to me. I know you're upset and I know that you're heart broken and I just want to help." She told him.

He then looked at her and said, "You really want to help?"

She nodded.

"Then get out."

"Don't do that. Don't try to push me and everyone else away. Especially me. Because you know there is nothing you can say or do to drive me away." She told him. There was a pause. "I know that you've been drinking."

He gave her a surprised look.

"And it pains me that drinking is your solution. Because you think it will make everything better, but it won't. It'll only make things worse." A tear fell down her face when she said that last part. "I won't force you to talk to me...But I'm here. I'm always here." She said finally before walking out.

He closed his eyes and let the tears he had been holding back for so long fall.