Stepbrother's Spirit

I was sleeping in my bedroom when I felt a someone grab the covers that I had kicked off with my legs. They covered me with them then laid down behind me, their weight making the bed sink towards them and me land near their body. I sighed conently as my body started to get warmer. Soon my half opened eyes closed completely and I was lost in the land of dreams.

The next morning I woke feeling happy. I opened my bedroom door with its key and went downstairs. I kissed my mum good morning and remembered last night.

“Thanks for covering me last night mum.”

“Last night?” she asked surprised.

“Yes, I felt . . .” I froze remembering that there was just one key to my bedroom. And since I had closed the door from within there was no way my mum or anyone else open it from outside. “You copied the key, didn’t you? Please don’t joke with me mum.” I plead feeling color leave my face. My mum was equally pale too. She swore that she didn’t enter my bedroom that night. And it couldn’t have been someone else either as it was only the two of us there that month.

I went back to my bedroom and looked around. The only thing out of place was my dead stepbrother’s portrait that I had turned the other way because I felt too creeped out by him looking directly at me as I slept.

The portrait was facing me again.