The Black Room

I visited St. Augustine when I was about 9 years old with my family and some friends. While we were there we went to the Castilo de San Marcos, a Spanish fort built in the late 1600’s.

In the fort there is a corner room with no windows called the “black room”. It was used to store weapons but was walled up for a few hundred years, and when they opened it up again they found human skeletons in the room-meaning that they had been walled up alive.

So I was alone in this part of the fort with my mom.

As she was reading the description of the room I was crouching down and looking into the room (there was a small arch to go into it).

There was clearly no one else in the room, and as I said before no windows. I suddenly felt a powerful burst of wind come shooting out of the room and go right through me. I’m not exaggerating, it felt like it went in one side of my body and out the other. I ran from one side of the fort to the other in about 30 seconds.

I probably would have set a world record if someone had been timing me. I was really scared. Anyway a bit after that we went into the room with a big group of people and nothing scary happened.

Years later I was watching the travel channel around Halloween time and they had a documentary about Halloween attractions around the world.

After that was done Ghost Adventures came on. I usually don’t watch shows like that because I’ve never found them very interesting, but this episode was about the Castillo de San Marcos so I decided to watch it.

In the episode they go into the same room and while in the room the host stops talking mid-sentence and says “oh my god I just felt like a burst of wind go through me.” Needless to say I had goosebumps all over after seeing that on TV. I still get goosebumps while talking about it.

I get it if you don’t believe me, because I probably wouldn’t believe it if it hadn’t happened to me. But that was the creepiest thing that has happened to me that I can’t explain.