The Phonecall

I was working at a Starbucks in a busy metro area, it was being renovated but we have a really tiny/inadequate/crappy set up with which to sling drinks around temporarily. There was a bunch of partitions which made it creepy so everyone felt like it was haunted.

The phone rang and one of the supervisors answered it and said that a woman said she was locked in the bathroom and couldn’t get out. That actually has happened in the store before so I went and checked and both bathrooms were empty.

When we tried to *69 the phone number we kept getting a disconnected error. I honestly thought that the supervisor was full of crap because I just generally hated him.

Then a few minutes later the phone rang again and I answered it. There was a woman on the phone who sounded really distressed. She asked for Alejandra, who was another supervisor who left maybe 20 minutes earlier. I asked who she was and she screamed “HER MOTHER.”

So I apologized and said she clocked out and wouldn’t be back in and she screamed “SHE’S MY DAUGHTER, I WANT TO TALK TO HER”. She was clearly very distressed and crying.

I tend to mind my own business, family drama is family drama and I wouldn’t want someone to make a big deal about it. So I just texted Ale when I got off work and said her mom called and sounded really upset.

She immediately called me and told me her mom had been dead for years and wanted to know who called the store. She was really pissed that someone would do that, but I was creeped out.

ESPECIALLY because someone had died in one of the bathrooms a few years earlier (was doing drugs, overdosed in the Starbucks bathroom.)

Either a very good actress who had personal information on the store was calling, or for 20 minutes our Starbucks landline was open for the dead to connect to the living. I get creeped out talking about it.