Chapter 29

Guia's POV

My brother was arrested after thorough investigation and findings regarding the murder case filed against him. I didn't have a chance to talk to him after that. I think it's better that way. Pakiramdam ko ay hindi ko na kailangang isumbat sa kanya ang lahat ng nagawa niya because he was aware of that in the first place. He was aware of the monster he had become. Hukuman na ang bahalang humusga sa kanya.

I decided to stay at Ate Gali's house for a while, in a city not too far from my parents' home. I'm not healthy in this household anymore at gusto ko munang magpahinga. I wanted to heal in a different environment, in a place where my heart and mind would be at peace. Pumayag naman sila sa gusto ko.

I woke up early to pack up my things. Maya-maya lang ay susunduin na ako ni Ate. Kailangan kong agahan dahil may pasok pa ako mamaya and I need to get ready before lunch time.

While I was sitting on the bed and packing my things, my mother slowly approached me. "Do you need help, anak?"

"Okay lang ako, Mommy," I answered while busy folding my clothes.

She sat beside me, and I can see in my peripheral vision how she was staring at me. She held my hand and gave it a light squeeze. I paused what I was doing to look at her.

"I'm sorry, Iya," she whispered, the tears in her eyes reflecting the light.

Silenced enveloped the air for a few moments. I looked away and bit my lower lip, trying to prevent myself from crying. Nanlalambot na naman ang puso ko.

"I'm sorry you have to be hurt like this..." her voice was trembling. "Ang gusto ko lang naman, anak, iwasan na masaktan ka. Alam kong kapag nalaman mo ang totoo, hindi mo matatanggap. That's why we tried to hide the truth from you. All I ever wanted was for you to be safe."

"Okay na, My," I stifled a sob. "Tanggap ko na... Nakakulong na si kuya. We should be at peace by now."

Binitawan niya ang kamay ko and she wiped her tears away. "Take care of yourself. Huwag mo na munang isipin masyado ang Daddy mo. Rest and don't forget your medications. Alam ko namang hindi ka pababayaan ng ate mo."

I nodded and gave her a slight smile. "Thank you, Mommy. I'll come back when I'm ready."

Nang makarating na si Ate Gali, tinulungan niya akong magpasok ng mga gamit ko sa kotse niya. Umupo na ako sa shotgun seat nang ready na ang lahat. I stared at my mother by the glass window and waved goodbye to her. Ate Gali started the engine and drove away until my Mom vanished from my sight.

"You seem glad, Ate," sabi ko sa kanya nang mapansin kong kanina pa siya nakangiti at mukhang masigla. "Ano'ng meron, bukod sa excited kang makasama ako?"

"Nothing, I'm just... so proud of you," she answered, the smile on her face didn't wither.

"For what?" I asked.

It took her a long time to respond. "For being a strong, young lady. And for using your voice to uncover the truth."

"The truth will always prevail, Ate," I stated.

"You know, I'm amazed of how brave you are. You're not afraid to stand up for what is right."

My lips formed into a smile upon hearing what she had said.

"When I was your age, I could never imagine myself talk to Dad like how you did, even until now," she continued, her hands busy turning the steering wheel. "Nabuhay ako sa takot. For all these years, pinili kong manahimik na lang at sumunod, kahit alam ko na minsan hindi na tama 'yung pagtrato niya sa atin."

Matagal akong napatitig sa unahan. My eyes were focused on the road we were driving on, and sometimes I would stare at people and buildings that we were passing by.