𝑂𝑁𝐸

a/n

hello everyone!

i just posted the edited versions of the chapters that were already posted earlier. enjoy your reading, let me know what you think!

Her dark eyes opened slowly, rays of the morning sun dancing on her face. The young woman yawned, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand as she laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her hand wandered to her neck, taking ahold of a necklace that hung from it. A sigh left her mouth as she played with the piece of jewelry, when a knock on the door sounded.

„Vancouver, come on!" she heard a male shout. Vancouver, that was her name now – a name, that everyone in the group knew. She groaned and slowly stood up, walking towards the door. She opened it, revealing Berlin, who leaned against her door frame. Berlin, a man who was put in charge of the heist, alongside herself. He was much older than her, which didn't stop the two from becoming good friends. The man was one of the people in the group who she trusted the most.

„What?" Vancouver asked, eyeing him up and down. She immediately could tell that he was nervous, despite him trying to hide it. It was one of the reasons why the Professor made her one of the two people in charge – she was excellent at reading people.

„Are you ready?" he asked, eyebrows raised. She tilted her head, looking down at herself – pajamas covering her body, fluffy slippers on her feet.

„Do I look ready?" she asked sarcastically, making Berlin roll his eyes. „I will be in five, let me change." she added softly, earning a nod in return, before she pushed him away. He turned around with a grin, but quickly returned to his stoic expression when a door to their left opened.

A tall brunette stormed out of her room, fixing her hair as her eyes scanned the corridor. Her eyes lit up as she saw Vancouver, smile overtaking her features as she made her way towards the two.

„Hi, Nairobi." Vancouver greeted, smiling widely at the woman. Berlin acknowledged Nairobi by giving her a nod, before turning around and walking away. The two girls waited for him to disappear down the stairs before Van grabbed Nairobi's wrist and pulled her inside her room, chuckles being the only thing heard when the doors closed.

Vancouver kept her gaze on her hands as she and the other seven people, who she now called her partners in crime, sat in the back of a van. Everyone was wearing their masks except for Tokyo, who was fixing her red lipstick at the moment. Van sat on the ground, between the two other women of the team. Suddenly, the tense silence was interrupted by Rio ripping his mask off and sighing. The action caused everyone to look his way, interested in what he had to say.

„Who chose the masks?" he asked, irritation clear in his voice. Vancouver frowned, taking off her own mask and staring at it.

„What's wrong with the masks?" Berlin asked, just as confused as the rest of them.

„They're not scary. In heist movies, robbers wear scary masks." the boy explained as Van's brother, now known as Denver, took his own mask off and looked at it, deep in thought. Vancouver exchanged amused glances with Helsinki, before Rio continued. „They're zombies, skeletons, The Grim Reaper. I don't know..." he was cut off by Berlin pointing a gun between his eyes. Van tensed as she rose up a little.

„With a gun in his hand, a man is scarier than a skeleton." the man said calmly, making Rio gulp.

„Alright, cut it out." Van hissed and grabbed Berlin's wrist, pulling his arm down. The man tossed her a look, but chose to back down.

„Who's this guy with the mustache?" it was Denver's turn to ask, looking up at Moscow. The older man sighed and shook his head.

„Dali, son, a Spanish painter. He was very good." Denver frowned, looking at his sister who shrugged.

„A painter?" he repeated, confused.

„Yes."

„A painter of paintings?" he kept asking, making Van rub a hand down her face.

„Yes." she and their father answered at the same time, exchanging tired looks. Rio and Denver both scoffed.

„You know what's fucking scary? Children's cartoons." Denver carried on. Berlin took his mask off, now interested in the conversation as Vancouver groaned.

„What cartoons?" the older man asked, frowning. Vancouver closed her eyes and slowly leaned back until her back hit the floor. She was now laying down, staring at the ceiling, forced to listen to men's discussion.

„Goofy, Pluto, Mickey Mouse, all those." Denver tried to prove his point, waving his hands around. „I'm right, listen to me. If a guy with a gun goes into a place while wearing a fucking Mickey Mouse mask, people will think he's nuts. Know why? Because weapons and children are not things that you put together. Right, dad?" Moscow stared at his son, who looked back at him, expecting to be backed up.

„Well, if you look at it that way, it'd be more twisted." the man agreed after a while, looking at his mask.

„So a Jesus mask would be more frightening. He's more innocent." Berlin reasoned, causing all the men to look at him with nods.

Nairobi slowly leaned forward as the conversation carried on, exchanging looks with Tokyo and Vancouver, the three women looking down to hide their grins.

It was as clear as day that there were not enough women on the team.

After a long ride, the truck has finally stopped in the middle of a road. Moscow got out, carrying a bag. The van drove away, stopping again after a few minutes. The group got out, quickly getting to their tasks. Vancouver took a deep breath in, stretching and looking around. She enjoyed the last few moments of peace, before they went into the Royal Mint. Girl's thoughts started running through her head, filling it with scenarios of what would happen after they entered. She started fiddling with her fingers, when suddenly a hand placed itself on her shoulder.

„Lu." Denver said quietly, so the others wouldn't hear the short of her real name. She looked up at her brother who was looking down at her worriedly. „You okay?"

„Yeah. Perfect." she replied and smiled at him, earning a small smile in return. The siblings walked towards the others, who now stood on the side of the road, observing as Moscow and Helsinki were blocking the road. Van stopped next to Nairobi, silently lacing their pinkies together so that nobody would notice. The taller woman smiled but didn't look at her, instead handing her a small handgun.

Suddenly, two police cars and a truck came into their view. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she pulled her mask over her face. When the cars stopped, Tokyo grabbed her hand and the two approached them. Vancouver aimed her gun at the police officer who was in the driver's seat, tilting her head.

„Get out." she snapped, grabbing man's shoulder and dragging him out. „You do what I say, understand?" he nodded as she put her gun under his ribs, guiding him towards the others as she did so.

They forced people from the cars to change into red jumpsuits, just like theirs. After they were finished, Nairobi tied each and every one of them up and shut the truck's door behind her. Vancouver walked around the truck, seeing Berlin and Denver who were now dressed in police uniforms. Berlin was talking to the drivers that were left, explaining them what to do. The girl breathed out and turned to Tokyo and Nairobi, who were both waiting for her in the car. She quickly took her jumpsuit off, revealing normal clothes, before jogging over and jumping in.

„Don't take your eyes off the girl. There can't be any mistakes, alright?" Berlin instructed, looking at the women pointedly. Van looked over his shoulder and caught a sight of Denver. Be careful, he mouthed and his sister nodded, sending him a quick kiss.

„She's seventeen. I think me and Vancouver can handle her." Tokyo responded smugly, shrugging. With that, Nairobi waved and started the car, driving away, towards The Royal Mint.