chapter seventeen

I held my breath in my chest as I slowly climbed the steps to the Jedi Temple. My mind raced at all the possibilities— before, I was solely focused on saving my mother. But now, I realize I hadn't exactly thought it through.

What is the Council going to say? Exactly how much trouble did I get myself into?

Anakin and Obi-Wan were silent beside me, most likely wondering the very same things I am.

I gasped at the sight of Captain Wolffe at the top of the stairs, with some of the other 104th troopers. That meant Master Plo came back from his mission— and I was gone.

"Ay, there you are, Commander," he smiled standing with a small group of clones.

"Wolffe, I, uh, didn't think you boys would be back so soon," I said, half smiling, half completely and utterly panicking.

"Yeah, mission was done early. Came back a little while ago." He seemed to notice the alarmed expression on my face. "I'd get in there if I were you.... the old man's been worried sick."

I let out an uneasy chuckle before restarting my journey to face the imminent mess I caused.

"Hey, don't be afraid," Anakin spoke softly from my left. "I won't let them blame it all on you."

"How reassuring."

"Speak for yourself, Anakin. I'll be sure everyone knows I had nothing to do with your reckless decisions," Obi-Wan sneered.

Anakin shot him a sharp glare.
"Just because you're embarrassed we found out about your girlfriend doesn't mean you need to be a dick, Master."

"Why must you always act like such a—"

"Both of you!" I shouted, stopping in my tracks. "Quit acting like younglings, you aren't making this any easier." The two of them complied, looking to me apologetically. "I know I'll have to own up to what I did, but Master Kenobi, if you know Satine anywhere near as good as I do, you should understand that every second of it was worth it."

"I- I suppose you're right, but I can't promise you the Council will feel the same," Obi-Wan sighed.

And right on cue, we turned to meet Master Plo, Yoda, and Mace Windu and I think my heart stopped beating as they approached.

"Thank goodness you're alright," Master Plo sighed, pulling me into a quick embrace. "I feared the worst had happened."

"I didn't mean to put you through that, Master. I'm so sorry."

"I let you go out without me then I find out you've been shot? And then I leave, thinking you're in good hands," he glanced at Anakin, who threw his hands up in surrender, "but when I come back they tell me you're missing? You can't do that to me, kid."

All I could think of doing was apologizing again and again, feeling horrible that I didn't consider his reaction. I guess I was so caught up in protecting my mother that I forgot I hadn't even seen Master Plo since before my accident.

But before I could open my mouth to speak, someone else did first.
"As much as I hate to interrupt this moment, we must discuss your actions, Padawan Kryze," lectured Master Windu.

"Forgive me, Master, but I had to. I sensed a very bad fate for the Duchess."

"Careful with your feelings, you must be," said Master Yoda. "The path to the dark side, attachment is."

"But you've always told me to trust my feelings, and I believe I did what was right."

"But what you did was blatantly disobeying the Council's orders, putting yourself and others at risk," Master Windu scolded.

"Wait," Anakin stepped forward, "it wasn't entirely her fault. I mean, I was the one that let her out—"

"Stay out of this, Skywalker. We will deal with your punishment later."

"Master, please you have to understand. If I didn't go, then maybe the mission wouldn't have been so successful. You can see that no one was hurt," I pleaded.

"No one was hurt this time. But if you continue to disregard orders, I can't promise you'll get off as easy," he spoke harshly.

"We just don't want anything to happen to you, Vienna, that's all. You have to trust that everything we do is for your best interest," said Master Plo softly, clearly attempting to be more understanding than Windu.

As much as I know what my master is trying to say— my best interest? Really? So my best interest would be leaving my mother's fate in any hands other than my own, sitting back at the Temple, and not even being there to help her when she's in danger?

And still I don't understand why everybody thinks I need to be watched over like some sort of damaged child that could break at any given moment. I am not weak. I can handle myself— why can nobody see that? What do I have to do to prove myself to these people?

I only nodded in response, realizing that anything I could say to defend my actions would likely result in more punishment.

"We're glad you understand. The Council has hereby decided to forbid you from participating in any missions regarding Mandalore or the Duchess, due to your evident attachments," announced Master Windu.

My eyes widened and it took every ounce of my strength not to protest. How could they do this? I knew more about Mandalore that anyone there— I grew up there for stars sake. This was so unfair.

"Master Windu, if I may interject," started Obi-Wan, much to my surprise. "Vienna was only trying to help with something she knew was wrong. I don't know about you, but I trust her judgment and I'm honestly not sure that mission would have went as planned without her."

I smiled over at him in thanks, grateful to have him, along with Anakin, in agreement with me, as it seemed that no one else was. I did wonder though why his mind suddenly changed— not too long ago he was scolding the two of us for the very same thing.

"Master Kenobi, our decision still stands... but I suppose that will be the extent of her punishment today," he declared. "You and Vienna are free to go. But not you, General Skywalker, we need to talk."

While reluctantly walking away, I glanced at Anakin nervously, who shot me a quick wink before turning to face the Jedi Masters.

I hoped he wouldn't get into trouble— it wasn't his fault, I pressured him to bring me when he shouldn't have.
Obi-Wan must have sensed my unease, because he placed a hand on my shoulder and looked at my with apologetic eyes.

"I trust you, Vienna. I trust you."

A/N: sorry this chapter is kinda short!! but i promise the next one will be have some ~spice~ hehehe

also if you can't tell by the way i wrote this— i hate mace windu 🥰