chapter twenty-one

As I sat cross-legged in the center of my room, I focused all of my attention on reaching out to the Force. These last few weeks since I saw my mother, though the Order has not failed to keep me busy, I've made sure to devote more energy to my connection with it. Anything that would keep my mind away from the nightmares that had recently started up again.

I let my surroundings melt away as I pushed out any negative thoughts or feelings, sensing my mind fall deeper into the trance of my meditation, encircled by the light of the Force.

Knock, Knock, Knock.

The sound instantly brought my focus back to the present. I opened my eyes and stared at the door, my feelings confirming a presence on the other side. Instead of pushing myself off the ground, I simply used my currently strong connection to the Force to turn the handle and open it. I wasn't entirely shocked to see that my visitor was Master Yoda.

Ever since Master Windu ordered me to stay away from Mandalore and all strings attached, I had been advised to spend extra time with Yoda, to regain focus and better my skills as a Jedi– especially following my injury and all.

"Getting stronger, I see you are. Good, I told you my advice is," he said, standing proudly before I waved him on to enter.

"You know I can't argue with that," I reply, shifting my position to a more comfortable one. "What brings you here at this hour?" It was still fairly early; the sun had barely risen yet.

"Came by request of the Council, I did." He took a seat opposite me on the floor. "Arrived on the planet Kiros, Separatist forces have. Getting ready to go help them, Skywalker and Kenobi's troops are."

I nodded, confused as to where I fit into all of this. "They're two of the best, I'm sure the Togruta people will be well protected."

"Why I am here, this is," he continued. "Concerned, I am, with any emotion this mission may provoke with Skywalker and Padawan Tano. A good idea, the Council and I believe it is, to send another with them. Besides, know just how deep of trouble Kiros is in, we do not."

Again, I nodded, attempting to connect the dots as to why I was being asked this. I can figure that Ahsoka, being a Togruta herself, would likely not want to see her people being exploited in the way that they are, but why would there be a problem with Anakin?

It must be for a reason that I don't yet know. A pretty good reason, if they are willing to risk sending me along, knowing Anakin and I's track record with trouble.

"Okay..." I said. "Does Master Plo know?"

"The one to suggest it, he was, along with Master Kenobi," he smiled, starting to stand up from his seated position. "Trusts your abilities, your Master does. Available for backup, he says the 104th legion will be."

"Tell him that I say thank you. And thanks to you too, Master Yoda. It's always a pleasure," I stood up as well, giving him a quick bow. We exited my quarters and I started toward the hangar.

"Vienna, I'm glad you agreed to join us," Master Kenobi greeted me as I approached the gunship that he was loading up. I shielded my eyes from the sun and could see Anakin over by another ship, talking with Rex and some other 501st clones.

"I suppose I am too, although I have to admit I'm a little confused," I said, earning a look from Obi-Wan that told me to continue. "Master Yoda said that the Council was worried about Anakin and Ahsoka on this mission... now I get Ahsoka, but–"

"Anakin doesn't talk much about his past," he interrupted, knowing where I was going with my question. "Well, he and his mother were sold into slavery by the Hutt clans. My Master, Qui-Gon, and I found him on Tatooine and brought him back to Coruscant with us. We were informed that the Zygerrians are involved in this plan with Count Dooku. They're slavers, Vienna."