chapter one

A/N: The story is almost always in Vienna's POV, and if it's not, for flashbacks or otherwise, it will be in italics and I'll say who's POV it is.

•          •          •          •          •          •          •          •

Growing up on Mandalore, I was publicly known as the niece of Duchess Satine, Vienna Kryze. Everyone on the planet knows that my mother was the sister of Satine and Bo-Katan and had me right before she died, 19 years ago. But this was simply not the truth...

I was the daughter of the Duchess, kept secret for the sake of protection and reputation. My mother and I are close, but there's one thing I know better than to ever bring up- my father. She's only ever told me that he left and never even knew I existed. It was hard having to grow up just accepting that I won't ever have a dad, but I always got this feeling- this feeling deep in my heart that the galaxy would bring me back to him.

•          •          •          •          •          •          •          •

Satine's POV

"All you have to do is say the word, and I will stay."

I was looking into the desperate eyes of my love as he searched my expression for hope that I would say what he wanted to hear.

After a year that felt like forever and a minute at the same time, a year filled with young love, I knew Obi-Wan Kenobi was not meant to stay. You didn't have to know him as well as I to see that he was destined for greatness.

If you love someone, you must be willing to let them go. This was not the place for selfishness. Obi-Wan belonged with the Jedi.

I couldn't say the word.

No matter how much my heart still aches every day, no matter how much I have to keep distracted from the part of myself that's still missing, no matter how broken I was when I realized my baby girl would grow up not knowing her father, no matter how often I doubt it, I made the right choice.

•          •          •          •          •          •          •          •

Although my pacifist of a mother was against it, but suspiciously unsurprised, I was deemed a force sensitive child by Jedi Master Plo Koon, who discovered me on Mandalore during a mission and brought me to the Temple on Coruscant. I was around 8 when I began my youngling classes with Master Yoda. He was always so good with us kids and made us feel special, and to this day I deeply respect him— I still look forward to visiting his quarters when I seek advice.

But Master Plo and I were always the closest. He seemed to understand me the best and all the younglings for that matter. Everybody loved him, especially my childhood best friend, a Torgruta a few years younger than me named Ashoka.

I was relieved when the council permitted me to begin my padawan training at the age of 12, and ecstatic that my master would be none other than Plo Koon himself.