chapter twenty

A/N: Happy 3 month anniversary of my mental health break🤪 Took a lot longer than I expected but we are back ayy.
To apologize, i gift you my longest chapter yet

Shoving our ways through the crowded streets of Coruscant, Anakin and I continued to search for any sign of Satine. Frustration was seeping in as more and more things slowed us down, getting in the way of any chance to find her before it was too late.

I glanced at Anakin over my left shoulder, who fell slightly behind; he was gesturing angrily at the child that had cut directly in front of where he was walking. Eventually losing patience altogether, Anakin pushed past the young Twi'lek boy and I slowed my pace just enough for him to catch up.

"Come on, keep your head in the game, Skywalker," I teased.

"Hey, it's not my fault that stupid kid didn't know how to walk," he rolled his eyes, looking back to glare one last time at his new friend.

"Easy," I laughed, "our mission isn't to kill any children today."

"Are you sure about that? Last time I checked, that was actually all included in the--"

"Do I need to kiss you again to shut you up or something?" I said, tilting my head to meet his playful but slightly caught-off-guard gaze.

"Hmm.. see I don't know if that would work," he brought his hand up to his chin, pretending to be deep in thought as he fought the smirk that was creeping onto his lips. "I think you may have to test out that theory."

My attempt at a comeback was interrupted, when a familiar chill rushed down my spine, immediately snapping my attention to a nearby building less than a block ahead. I quickly grabbed onto Anakin's arm. "And I think your theory may have to wait..."

"Dang it."

We ducked into the alley beside the building, careful not to draw too much attention to ourselves. The feeling grew stronger as we disappeared deeper into the shadows. Eventually we were met with a large, very old wall that seemed to lead to some sort of balcony.

"Satine's over there somewhere," I said, pulling the grappling hook in my belt that all Jedi are provided with. Anakin did the same as we fastened them to the top of the wall, quickly climbing up.

Anakin was over first, extending his hand to me as I joined him. We instantly ducked down behind the ledge, overlooking the next alley over, and searched for any sign of my mother.

"There!" he whispered, gesturing to a tall woman in a robe who appeared to be talking with an older man.

But something doesn't feel right.

I gently nudged Anakin's side, reminding him to stay alert and I could tell by the look on his face that he felt uneasy as well. We watched closely as the man handed her what appeared to be a recording.

A chill drew my attention to the upper balcony on the other side of the alley, when I saw it. A sniper. Before I had time to even move, a shot was sent through the elderly man's chest and he dropped to the ground. Satine screamed, taking out her own blaster and aiming it where the sniper once was— he had dashed away as fast as he appeared.