Hogwarts

Everyone shuffled out of the compartment, feeling the first sting of the night air on their faces as they joined the crowd in the corridor. Slowly, they moved towards the doors. People pressed against Amarea making her breath turn shaky. "Alright," Harry asks? She shrugs. "We'll be out soon."

Once they got off the train, Harry pulled Amarea along at a brisk pace. "Can we slow down? I can't walk that fast."

"Short legs, eh?"

Amarea jabs him with her elbow, making him laugh. Her lips quirk at the sound. Footsteps behind them make her turn around, Harry doing the same, his laughter stopping.

A tall, blond-haired boy walks up to them fast, boys trailing behind him. "I'm surprised the Ministry is still letting you walk around free, Potter. You better enjoy it while you can; I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it."

Amarea shivers at what the boy says, deciding it would be best to not say anything lest she lose control and turn him into ash. Harry, on the other hand, jumps at him, making the other boy jump back.

"Harry, stop," Amarea says, grabbing his arm. "I don't have time for this..."

The boy looks at Amarea up and down, her doing the same to him the best she could without her cloak falling off her head.

"What did I tell you? Complete nutter," the blond says, readjusting his suit jacket and walking away from them.

"Just stay away from me," Harry shouts.

"It's only Malfoy...what'd you expect," Ron ask?

They continue walking, stopping behind a carriage that had just started to leave. "Hey, guys, " Neville says, coming up to them. Amarea waves at him. The sound of a carriage behind them makes Harry turn around. His mouth hangs open slightly, taking in the sight.

The coaches were no longer horseless. There were creatures standing between the carriage shafts. They looked like horses but were completely fleshless, their black coats clinging to their skeletons, of which every bone was visible. Their heads were dragonish, and their pupil-less eyes were white and staring. Wings sprouted from each wither - vast, black leathery wings that looked as though they ought to belong to giant bats. "What is it?"

"What's what," Ron asks?

"That," Harry gestures, "that thing pulling the carriage."

Hermione looks around, "Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry. It's pulling itself like always."

Everyone except Amarea walked around the side of the carriage, looking at the person sitting in it already.

"You're not going mad," Luna says. "I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am."

Harry looks back over at Amarea, who is busy watching the animal. She bows slightly, the beast lowering its neck in return. She strokes the face of it lightly, before going over and hopping into the carriage with everyone else.

Once they reached the castle, Amarea said goodbye to them reluctantly, making her way to Severus's office quickly. They greet each other briefly, making their way to the Great Hall after. Dumbledore thought it would be best if she walked in with Severus instead of Harry; she didn't really understand why and she definitely wasn't thrilled about the notion.

Pulling a chair out for her, Severus makes sure she's comfortable before taking his own seat at the end of the table. She waits patiently for Dumbledore, watching people fill the room and teachers take their chairs. Students and teachers alike give her odd stares. Finally, Dumbledore arrived, walking over to her and putting a hand on her shoulder gently. "Welcome back."

"Thank you. It feels good to be here."

Dumbledore smiles at her, patting her shoulder and whispering to her before walking away, "You can take off your cloak; you're safe here." At the comment, she exhales, not realizing she had been holding her breath. She catches Harry's eye and she nods at him, receiving a confused look.

When the sorting was over, and all the students had finished eating, Dumbledore got to his feet. Talking ceased immediately as all turned to face the headmaster. "Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usually start-of-term notices," Dumbledore says. "First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now too." George and Fred's groans could be heard from Amarea's seat. "Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door."

He clears his throat before continuing, "We have had a couple changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Last, but most certainly not least, a good friend of mine, Amarea will be joining to make sure everything is in line. She will drop in and out of classes, making sure everything is in line; as you know we have had an exciting couple of years. Further in the year, perhaps an extra class will be brought up for her to teach."

Deciding that it would be best, Amarea took off her hood with a sigh, catching the clapping crowd's attention once again. Dumbledore continues, "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the..."

He was interrupted by a woman, only an inch shorter than Amarea.  Everyone in the room had a surprised look on their face. Watching her walk around the table, Amarea lifted her lip in disgust at her outfit. The pink was more than slightly overwhelming.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome. Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say! And to see many happy little faces looking back at me." She smiled, gesturing around the room with her hands. "I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends."

Tuning her out, Amarea looked over at Severus, raising her eyebrows at him. "What the fuck is that," she mouths, referring to the pink blob speaking. Severus shrugs, turning away with a small smile.

Once Umbridge had finally stopped talking and sat down, Dumbledore clapped, the staff slowly following his lead. Amarea however, put her head in her hands. It had to of been one of the longest speeches she had ever listened to.

Dumbledore stood again, talking about Quidditch tryouts. Carefully, Amarea slid her chair out from the table. The student's eyes followed her as she made her way to the side door, silently leaving. They were even more intrigued when Severus got up to follow her.

"I'll show you to your room if you'd like."

Amarea whipped around, facing him. "That would be great."

Leading her to the room she would be staying in, she and Severus made small talk, catching up on some of the things that Amarea had missed. "I have to go, but here's the key. Come find me if you need anything." She nods to him, watching his cape billow as he walks away. Leaning her head against the door, the catches her breath, thinking about how the day had gone - how the days ahead would go. After a few minutes, she finally opens the door.