Defense Against The Dark Arts

Defense Against the Dark Arts was a class Amarea had been dreading all day. She used to love the class, but now that Umbridge was teaching, Amarea was certain she would be ready to rip her hair out just ten minutes into the lesson. Not bothering to knock, she opens the door, taking a seat at the only empty desk. "Well, what a pleasure to have you in class today...Miss..."

"Amarea."

Umbridge wrinkles her nose, flattening her pink fluffy cardigan and folding her hands in front of her. "It's wonderful to have you, Amarea."

Nodding at her, Amarea leans back in her seat, "The pleasure's all mine."

Clearing her throat, Umbridge begins to talk, "Now, as I was saying...Wands away and quills out, please."

The class exchanged gloomy looks and Amarea raises her eyebrows in surprise. Opening her handbag, Umbridge took out her own wand, which was unusually short, and tapped the blackboard sharply with it. Words appear on the board: Defense Against the Dark Arts...A Return to Basic Principles. While the words were being written, a foot kept kicking Amarea's. Trying not to pay any attention, she keeps her gaze on the board at the front of the classroom. "Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it," Professor Umbridge states, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, had unfortunately resulted in you being far below the standard we would expect to see in your O.W.L year. You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please."

Amarea watches as the first message vanishes from the board and a new one replaces it:

1. Understanding the principles of underlying defensive magic.

2. Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magic can legally be used.

3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

Students around the room write quickly. A hard kick to her shin makes Amarea wince, and she turns her head to the right harshly. Raising her eyebrows and scrunching her nose up in a 'what' expression, she glares at Draco. He moves books to the front of the desk, passing her a note behind them. Rolling her eyes, she opens it, reading the contents. 

What are you doing here? -Draco

Amarea crumples up the letter, dropping it in front of him. Turning away, she looks back at Umbridge, watching her talk to the class. Not even a minute later, Amarea winces as her shin is kicked again. Draco passes her a different sheet of paper this time. 

Don't crumple this, it's too hard to kick you in the shin since you're so short. Answer the question. -Draco

She writes back begrudgingly.

I'm surveying classes. Also, I'm not that short. ALSO, you don't have to put your name every time. We're the only people at this table. 

Folding the paper back up, she slides it back across the desk, scooting her chair slightly more to the left. Draco does the same with his chair, passing the paper back to her afterward.

Yes, you are. And yes, I do. What's your favorite color? -Draco

Amarea looks at him curiously.

Silver/Green

Blue/Green. :) -Draco

Why are you being so nice? What do you want?