~Garbage Flowers~

Riley soothed me with her wise words and confidence-injecting compliments. They didn't really have an effect on me tonight however. Even the whole "You were so brave even going up there" and, "If only Austen could see how amazing you are" or the, "I'm hiring some of my ex's to beat up Jaxon in his own school parking lot." No, I had been planning, and dreaming, and anticipating my first kiss every since the third grade. All those fantasies were so freshly shattered, it could take a while to heal from that. Besides, it wasn't necessarily the kiss itself, but the fact that it was a dare in front of a group of strangers- it didn't mean anything. Maybe I'll live in a shack as an old hermit and never kiss another boy again, and that will be my happily ever after.

She dropped me off at home, a look of sorrow worn just for me. Even though she won't say it, it was humiliating what happened to me tonight. I just wish I could have handled it better. Had the guts to deny it in the first place, or just taken the kiss like a mature person and cried about it later.

I didn't bother looking in the mirror as I brushed my teeth, knowing that the puffy eyed reflection would only cause me to break down again. Crying yourself to sleep isn't an ideal result of being kissed by a mighty fine boy, but for some reason, the dare he gave me hit me where I'm weak. The scene keeps replaying in my mind, all that unwanted attention. Jaxon knows how to get to me, and to think he's laughing about it now makes me sick. I am just ready for the day to be through, to put it all behind me.

The next day at school was treacherous. Luckily, I could sulk in class and not have to worry about Jaxon or any of his superficial friends crossing my path. Riley could tell I wasn't in the mood to talk, and she kindly gave me the space I needed. It's okay to take a couple days off from being happy here and there, and this was one of those days. Vacationing to the valley of The Sad and Somber, I'd like to call it.

It was third period, sociology, and the teacher was just beginning to dive into humans natural response in situations and the different levels of relationships. She had strayed off topic, as she usually did with our class, and told us about a documentary of the uncovered mysteries of the world. It was intriguing, and I was overjoyed to have the green children of woolpit to distract me from last night. Becoming absorbed into the discussion, I didn't hear my name being called from the back of the classroom.

"Is there a Bayley Davis in here?" One of the office aids tried for the second time. Eyes flew to me.

"That's me," I stuttered, thrown by the assortment of colorful flowers in her hand. She smiled, and walked up to my desk in the front row. The teacher paused, and started writing notes on the board to pass time.

"These are for you." She explained, handing the gigantic bouquet to me. I gaped at it, turning it around in my hand.

"There must be some mistake. I don't know anybody that would-"

"There is no mistake. They were delivered for you," the lady confirmed. Then she giggled gleefully, in a way that implied she knew something I didn't. I was about to ask from who, but she left in a haste, not telling me any more. The door swung and slowly shut, and I knew most of the class were thinking the same thing I was- Who are they from? What are they for? Who would bring her flowers? Do we get some too?

Bewildered at the item in my hands, I shoved them under my desk, cringing as the packaging crinkled on the floor. Just pretend like nothing happened. The lesson continued on, but now, it wasn't the lesson distracting me from my misery. It was those dang flowers.

"There was no note, no nothing. And I can't list anyone that would bring me flowers. My mind is completely blank when it comes to that," I argued with Riley, gesturing to them just laying there on the table. They were really pretty: a mix of frilly looking flowers pure white or dyed in various shades on blue and purple; I just didn't know who would spend even a dime on it for me.