~A Bet's a Bet~

"Tommy, pass! I'm open buddy! Right here!" I was at the top of the stairs, spiraling down while being chased by two other ballthirsty boys. Tommy and me were paired up, and we were in the lead, so far getting a total of six touchdowns in a competitive game of indoor football. Their endzone was behind the kitchen counter, while ours was the peak of the staircase.

The ball left his little hands and came oscillating to me. I had my arms up in a receiving position, but the steepness of the stairs threw me off. I slid on the edge, arms flailing, and watched as the balls aim heightened. Aw shiz. The football smacked onto my forehead and bounced around on the wooden floor. The kids all burst into giggles. I bent down to snatch it off the floor.

"Come on brohemes, let us not get distracted.... Oh- actually, I have to put you to bed!" I said, checking my phone. It was already 8:53, nearly an hour past their bedtime. To my surprise, they didn't put up a fight. I'll have to remember next friday to use physical exercise again to get them worn out and ready for bed.

They were finally all groomed and changed and minty breathed for bed. I tucked the kids in at each of their adorably themed rooms and turned off the hallway light, getting that motherly sense of accomplishment. The house creaked, and now that the main source of ruckus was asleep, it sounded like an obituary. That "The Silence is Deafening" quote really applies here. I would take creepy circus music over this.

I turned the TV on low and flipped it over to Fox News. I know it was terribly nerdy of me, but I am intersted to know what's going on in the everchanging world around us. Look at me and my prodigious efforts. CIA should be recruiting me and sending me on undercover missions right about now.

"Hey dork, care to explain why your alone watching the news on a Friday night?" My teeth gritted just hearing his voice. The nerve of the guy, teasing me after what he did.

"I don't see you out getting wasted or whatever it is you do on weekends either," I pointed out, not peeling my eyes away from the screen. I could feel Jaxon smirking behind me.

"Touché." Lets hope this would be the only conversation exchanged tonight. That's your cue. Leave me alone now.

"Say, we're both stuck in the same home" Jaxon begins. I sigh, turning up the volume on the TV. He continues, louder than before, approaching the couch.

"I'm bored... your obviously past that..." He says, his voice much closer now. I feel his hand slide onto the back of the couch, causing the hairs to rise on my neck. "Would you be interested in a friendly round of Call Of Duty?"

I scoffed loudly, "You honestly think after what you did, I would go play video games with you like nothing ever happened?"

"No, but I figured we could come to some sort of mutual agreement here, and ceasefire for the night. Only for the sake of our boredom, of course." I laughed sharply, thinking of how stupid this all was. Or you could just apologize like a real man and spend the rest of your life making it up to me.

"Sorry, but no," I said quite insincerely. Jaxons other hand went on the opposite side of my head, and the couch lowered as he leaned forward. The television became background noise. I reluctantly glanced up, meeting his enchanting brown eyes directly overhead mine.

"Please Bailey? I'm tired of challenging the losers on the internet, and even though you'd be no real competition, It'd be nice to play with someone real." I could feel my control slipping, starting to fall for it. Riley and I have played Call Of Duty in her basement ever since her brothers been away at college, so he's wrong when he assumes I have no experience. How badly do I want to see his face when I win?