~Almost Apologies~

I furiously began trying to brush the flour out of my hair when I heard it. A snort. Coming from the shower.

Rage rippled through my body. I stormed over in the direction of the shower and shredded the curtain across the pole, nearly breaking it off. The one and only Jaxon Bennett was curled up in a ball, holding his breath. As soon as those brown eyes met my hair, he broke out into a fit of laughter. I just stood there, not knowing what to do. My hands slowly curled into fists as a couple moments passed.

"Yo-your... ha, hai.." He continued laughing and pointing. In one swift motion I grabbed his arm and forced him to stand up. The laughter died immediately. I searched his face, my teeth gritting together.

"Jaxon. Sweet, sweet Jaxon" I said in a calm, menacing voice, "You shouldn't have done that." He had expected me to have a meltdown, so this was evidently a shock. He raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms, masking the fear.

"It was an accident, I swear. Don't believe me? Fine. If you would be so kind and step aside..." Jaxon took a step forward, only for me to push him back. He put his hands up in surrender, looking pleased at my reaction.

Now, here's the part where I would grab the nearest object and chase him around the house, screaming that he has to apologize or else. But at this time, I knew that's exactly what he would want. Jaxon was the sort that likes to get a rise out of people. And I was not about to be one of them. So, instead of allowing my anger to take control, I released the breath in my chest and stepped aside.

".....Thanks." Jaxon hesitated.

I shut the door behind him, and leaned against the counter. There was no way he would get away with this. If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I get pretty competitive. You can ask my friends; I always get the last slap, the victory march, the final hurrah. He has no idea what he's started.

I turned on the shower and hopped in. The water was scorching hot against my skin, but I hardly noticed. I was too busy plotting my revenge. The flour in my hair came out and turned the water pale.

My shower only lasted two minutes. I briskly dried myself and got redressed, hoping the kids were still alive by the time I was done. As soon as I stepped out, a loud crash of thunder shook the house. Then the lights began to flicker.

I took the stairs one by one, praying the power wouldn't go out. The same thing happened last week. California has been getting heavy rainstorms coming from the pacific ocean all April long. Some of them last for days, and we have to stay home to avoid getting struck by lightning. I always thought it was fun; watching the lightning through the front room window and rating each one. But today was different. That thunder was a lot more powerful than the storms we've had all month.

Thump! I jumped the last three stairs and walked towards the side door leading to the backyard. As the knob turned, a strong gust of wind blew the door open all the way. It was a bluish-black sea of rain. There were small waves running across the patio. In fact, the entire backyard was submerged with water! Blinding light tore across the sky directly above me. I shrieked and slammed the door, rushing to lock it. Looks like I won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>><<>><<>><<>>

After getting off the phone with Heather, I sent a text to my mom. She agreed I should spend the night because Heather was stuck at a hotel and the streets were closed off. I wasn't very pumped about sleeping over though. In my eyes, it meant you-know-who would be just down the stairs.