~Somewhat Unwelcome~

Seeing Jaxon scared, Jaxon of all people, had made me more horrified for what was about to take place. I would consider him a pretty tough guy, since in the past he's never really displayed weakness, or emotion for that matter. But there was something in his eyes that told me this was much different. Something about his dad struck the core, caused a distinct deviation in his behavior, and I wished I really knew why.

"Jaxon, can't you just tell him to leave?" I offered, hoping the resolution to this situation would come that easy. He shook his head, still rushing around the room. I watched as he hurriedly placed a chair up under the door handle, an old trick I learned from my childhood since my door didn't have a lock on it.

"No. You don't know him at all. If he sees you... I'm not even going to get into that. He won't lay a hand on you, I swear. I just need you out of sight." My whole frame started shaking with hints of his dads nature. He's right... I don't know anything, and I'm not sure I want to find out.

"What is it? He's never.... hurt you before, has he?" The words made me feel sick to my stomach. Jaxon looked up at me briefly, and his eyes said it all. I felt myself starting to fall into what appeared to be the symptoms of a panic attack. Racing heart, detachment from reality, violent shaking.... you name it, I was experiencing it.

"Get under the bed," Jaxon ordered, shoving aside some clothes and other stuff to create an entrance. His voice sounded distant, as if he was talking underwater. I shook my head, and spoke quietly, feeling like my throat was closing in on me.

"I can't leave you out here." Jaxon grumbled, racing around the bed to my side.

"Now is not the time to be stubborn, Bailey." He placed a hand on my arm. I unknowingly flinched away from his touch. Jaxon stopped in the midst of his flurry to look me in the eye. He gently brushed my arm, trying to soothe me for the split second we had.

"Hey, look at me," He spoke calmly, in contrast to his tone before. I focused in on his eyes, taking deep breaths. They were comforting....warm....safe. He looked like he was about to say something else, but there was shuffling outside the door. I heard mumbling, and the sound of someone gripping the door handle.

"In here." Jaxon led me to the closet and opened the double doors. I complied, squeezing in between his clothes and spare hangers. He began shutting the door, but stopped right before, wearing a pensive look.

"Don't make a sound," He whispered gravely. I nodded, letting him know I understood. Then he went ahead and hastily shut the closet door. I was still shaking, but I knew I had to do this for him. Control your breathing. Concentrate on getting your heart rate down. Let Jaxon handle it. You'll only be putting him in more danger if you're discovered.

The man behind the door began turning the handle. I could hear him pushing against it, trying to get it open. I peered through the slanted cracks of his closet, and was able to access a view of the entire bedroom. Jaxon went over and stood next to his bed, looking frozen in fear, but standing defensively with his hands clenched beside him.

"Hey," a deep voice slurred, rumbling the doorknob, "Open this door." Jaxon didn't answer back, staying still in place. I jumped when he started pounding on the door. It occurred to me that a full-grown man could probably knock the door down if he really put his heart to it. Crap.