Chapter 27

Ashiya's PoV:

Just when I opened my mouth to answer Ammi's question, her phone rang. She went to pick it up and as she did, she flinched a little and rubbed her ear before letting out a squeal.

"Alhamdulillah, that's great," she said and I frowned. Who is she talking to and about what? "Yes yes, let's just hope for the best...yes Allah Hafiz." I raised my eyebrows as she came back and sat down on the bed. "So...tell me." she said ignoring my questioning look.

"Why are you asking me such a question? " I was hella confused. What is she even thinking? Ahan and I? Not in a million years!

"I don't know... he's a good guy and I know his family. They're educated and kind people," she shrugged.

"No, Ammi," I said, "I have already told you that I do not want to get married. Plus, him and I are complete opposites." It's true. I remember the qualities he had listed for his future wife and I'm nowhere near to those. We're both poles apart.

"But Ashu," she tried to convince me but I cut her off.

"Please, Ammi," my voice was stern this time. I know he's a good guy and his family is good but we're not made for each other. He doesn't even like me. He barely tolerates me when I'm around and despises me a lot. I don't want to be a burden to him. I got up and left her room and walked upstairs. My footsteps felt heavy for some reason. I entered my room and lied down on my bed. I kept tossing and turning but sleep didn't engulf me.

Does he know about it? My subconscious questioned. It doesn't matter, I answered.
Are you sure? You seem affected. I shut my eyes close and the scene from that dream came rushing. Those arms, that warmth. It all felt so good. He felt so good. Did it mean something? Was it some kind of a sign? Stop overthinking! I got up and looked at the clock. It was 2:25. I need help. I need to pray. I need Allah's guidance.

I quickly made wudu and sat down on my prayer mat. As I put my head down in sujood, I begged Allah to soothe my heart, to show me the right path and to help me choose what's right for me. I begged Allah to give me a sign, anything, to let me know if I'm ready for marriage or not. I wanted to know what is it that I'm feeling in my heart. Why does it feel weird to reject the proposal? Am I just prejudiced against Ahan or he really doesn't like me? And why does it matter to me? I kept my head down asking the Almighty to bless me with answers until I heard the Fajr adhaan. Whatever happens now, it's going to be good for me.

.

.

.

The next morning I walked downstairs and found Ammi sitting on the couch and sipping on her tea. I need to talk to her. She smiled when she saw me and asked Banu Phupi to make coffee for me. I took my seat next to her and cleared my thorat.

"Ammi I...about last night...," I tried to bring my words together.

"It's okay, Ashu," she placed her hand on my head, "it's your life and I cannot force you into something so important like this. I just wanted you to consider...but it's fine if you don't want to."

"No Ammi, I thought about what you said last night," I looked down, unable to meet her gaze, "I just need some time. I'm not saying a yes or a no for now," I mumbled.
After last night, I realised that I had been too quick to make a decision. I need to know him first. I need to figure things out. It's not like I'm going to get married within two days.

"That's... amazing," Ammi smiled, "I'm glad you're giving it a chance." I smiled back and just then something flashed in her eyes, like an idea or something.
"Perfect! I'm going to invite Mariam and her sons to dinner tonight," she grinned and jumped up to go to the kitchen before I could protest.

.

.

.

Ahan's PoV:

"She said what?" I blinked in surprise and Mom smirked at me. Apparently, Ashiya had agreed to give a chance to this alliance and she told her mother that she wanted to know me. She wanted to know me.

"Yes," Mom patted my cheek, "now go and take a shower. We'll have dinner at Saba's place tonight," she shooed me away. I nodded like a good boy and followed her order.

Just when I came out of my bathroom, two figures jumped on me from left and right. I looked at them and they seemed to be really excited for something. What? Do they want my share of ice cream or something?

"Waah Bhai," Ayan grinned as he slapped my shoulder, "we never knew you were such a lover boy." He wiggled his eyebrows at me and I smacked his head. This guy still behaves like an eleven year old. "Haan haan," he said rubbing the spot where I hit him, "you've become arrogant now that you are going to get married," he faked a sad expression and I rolled my eyes.

"No but seriously Bhai, we never expected you to be falling for someone like Ashiya," Arhaan said and I sighed. Honestly, he had a point. In fact, I too, had never expected myself to be falling for someone like her. I preferred peace amd she was a havoc. I preferred soft breeze and she was like a hurricane. She was a cyclone who had destroyed my peace of mind and turned me into a mad man. She was like a little devil with angel eyes that could mend mountains. She was so much different than I was and yet I ended up liking her.

"Relax you two, she hasn't said yes yet," I reminded them and myself.

"Yeah but she will," Arhaan smiled.

"How are you so sure?" I raised my eyebrows and he just shrugged.

"I don't know, but I get the feeling that you guys will end up together," he said like a philosopher.

"Exactly, I think I should start calling her Bhabi from today onwards," Ayan suggested making me almost choke on air.

"You will do no such thing," I warned and his goofy smile fell off, "now go and get ready for the dinner. Arhaan, keep an eye on this duffer." Arhaan nodded and Ayan stuck out his tongue at me before barging out my room.

Angel eyes, here I come.