Chapter 40

Ahan's PoV:

The reception hall was full of so many people whom I failed to recognise. They all came and greeted me, congratulating and wishing me for a good married life. My jaws ached due to the smile I had to pull up but I couldn't complain. Mom was seated beside me, talking to some ladies who complimented her attire. She was wearing a royal blue salwar kameez with golden embroidery. Her hair looked pretty in soft curls and she had some make up on. Her eyes shone with so much joy that I feared she would catch an evil eye from the onlookers.

I eyed the hall and fixed my gaze on the entrance, anticipating the entry of my queen.I was getting restless with each passing minute, especially due to the way everyone stared at me like I was some kind of a show piece.

"Have patience," I heard Mom's voice and turned to her, my lips pressed in a thin line. Ayan had left an hour ago to pick her up from the parlor and they were supposed to arrive half an hour ago. I kept tapping my foot on the floor of the stage, the carpet bearing my frustration.

Suddenly, the crowd grew silent and I looked up. An ethereal beauty, clad in a shimmery pastel blue lehnga, her head covered by a matching hijab and a ghoonghat over that, stood near the entrance. She scanned the crowd and her eyes drifted upwards to land on mine, her form stiffening. Ruqaiya, who was standing just beside her, whispered something into her ear and she nodded. She started taking slow steps towards the stage, her lowered, probably to prevent herself from tripping because of her dress. The crowd gawked at her, as if in a trance, and I fought the solid urge to just go and pick her up in my arms and flee to a place where I'll have her just for myself.

As she approached closer, a soft music started playing which I thought to be my imagination but later on realised that it was real. I stepped down and offered her my hand which she happily took and climbed the stairs to the stage. She looked at me and smiled nervously. Out of her entire attire, the beautiful dress, the exquisite jwellery and the flawless makeup, the glint in her eyes still managed to grab my attention. I could stare into them for a thousand years and still end up wanting for more.

Mom made us sit side by side on the sofa and then left to meet her guests. Now, there were only the two of us on the stage, with the crowd at a good distance.

"I am nervous," she spoke softly and I saw her fidgeting with her fingers, overwhelmed by the stares she was receiving. I grabbed her right hand and intertwined our fingers, catching her by surprise.

"Relax, there's nothing to be nervous about," I assured her and she nodded. She turned her head and looked ahead but my gaze was fixed on her and her perfect form. God I can't wait to reach home and have her for myself....

Ashiya's PoV:

It was the first time in my life when I was the centre of attraction among hundreds of people, all of them looking at me like I was some extra ordinary person. I was overwhelmed and anxious but Ahan's firm hold on my hand was a comfort for me. People started coming up on the stage to congratulate us and I tried my best to give them all a polite smile, unlike my usual one which puts all my teeth on display.

I could feel Ahan getting a little annoyed because of the way some young women stared at him but he was courteous enough to prevent himself from rolling his eyes. He kept his gaze lowered whenever any lady approached us, which made me quite happy.

I saw Ammi coming to me with a bright smile on her face. She was wearing a peacock green kameez . Her grey dupatta was placed neatly on her head. She kissed my head first and then Ahan's.

"MashaAllah, may Allah protect you from evil gazes," she said lovingly. She then revealed a small box which I had failed to notice. It was velvety and long. She opened it and I saw a watch inside. I didn't know which brand it belonged to but I was sure it was quite exquisite.
"Here," she took hold of Ahan's wrist and was about to put it on but he pulled away.

"I can't take this, Khala. I will not accept any kind dowry," He said, a little agitated.

Ammi frowned at him, "This is no dowry. It's just a gift which I'm giving to you because you are now a part of my family." Ahan was still not convinced as he shook his head. "Ahan, you are like a son to me now so do I not have the right to give a present to you out of happiness?"

Ahan opened his mouth to answer but closed it. He looked at me, as if asking me what he should do. I knew my mother didn't believe in the concept of dowry so whatever she was giving to Ahan now was out of her own happiness. Therefore, I nodded at him with a smile.

He turned to Ammi and sighed defeatedly. "Fine," he said like a child, "but please don't buy any other expensive gift for me, ever." Ammi chuckled at that and shook her head.

"I can't promise anything," she said and left us.

Later on, when we were done with being greeted by dozens of people, Ahan and I were led to the banquet hall to have some food. As the aroma of the delicacies filled my nostrils, my mouth watered.

"Easy there," Ahan whispered into my ear with a chuckle and I smiled sheepishly at him. As soon as the food items started arriving on our table, I took no time and dug into the food. They tasted better than they smelled and my taste buds seemed to have reached nirvana.

"Mmmm," I moaned as I took a bite of the jalebi dipped in rabdi and felt Ahan going stiff beside me. I turned to him and raised my eyebrows, to which he shook his head and opened the topmost button of his shirt. Did I mention how hot he was looking in his black tuxedo? He must have combed his hair neatly at first but a few strands still managed to land on his forehead making him look boyish and...sexy?

"I gotta go to the washroom, excuse me," He got up and left as if his pants were on fire. I tried to figure out what just happened but then decided to pay my attention the beauty that lay on my plate.

_________________________________________

(Relax guys, those eighty million are in rupees, not dollars. My man Ahan is rich but he's not Bill Gates, yk. I decided to clarify this since some of you are confused.)

And sorry for the late update. I was actually busy in preparing for my entrance exams. Please keep making dua for everyone and everything. The world needs our prayers. May Allah Azzawajal make things easy for us. Aameen.

Also, do vote and comment on this chapter. Thank you ❤️