Chapter 4

"That's not fair, bro, you had promised me!" I yelled at Arhaan who was sitting on the couch next to mine. We were in the living room with Mariyam Khala and Ayan. Last night, Arhaan had told me that he would take me to the zoo but now he was denying me, saying that he had some urgent work to attend.

"I am sorry Ashu but it's really very important," he said apologetically. "Besides, I didn't promise you anything." I grabbed the pillow kept near me and threw it at him but of course it missed. All three of them laughed.

"What is the need to go to the zoo?  If you want then you can have a look at the mirror and get entertained," I heard someone's voice and turned my head to it's owner. It was jinna...I mean Ahan. He had just entered the living room from outside, wearing a grey shirt and black pants. His face held no expression as he eyed me.

"Excuse me," I said quite offended. He still had his face straight. "You surely know how to behave with your guest."

"What?  Why are you so offended?" he raised his eyebrows and I narrowed my eyes at him, "I am just trying to help you out. "

"I don't need your help. Thank you very much, " I said shifted my focus back to Arhaan.

"If you wish then you can come with us to take a look at our office. It just got renovated, you know, "Arhaan suggested.

"Yes, actually that's a good idea,"Khala said, "Also, Ahan got his new office ready so you can go and see that as well."

I looked at her and then at her eldest son. He held a bored expression on his face.  I understood that he didn't want me to join him and that made me mad.

"Okay I'll go," I said and I saw Ahan closing his eyes, looking frustrated with something. What's wrong with him? Is he sick? "But don't think that I'll forget about the zoo," I said to Arhaan who chuckled and then nodded.

.

.

.

Ayan and I were at Ahan's office while Arhaan was gone for his emergency work. Ahan left us and disappeared somewhere in the building as soon as we stepped into his office. Weirdo! I thought.

The office looked just as boring as it's owner. It was surely big but didn't have much furniture inside. It had a mahogany table and a chair with a laptop and some papers on it. The walls were white and there was a couch near  the wall. There was a balcony which led to the view of the entire city since it was at a great height.

"Who?" asked Ayan and I looked at him.

"What who?" I questioned.

"Who's a weirdo?" he asked with a questioning look. What, did I say that out loud?

"Oh nothing," I waved, "I was just thinking that it's quite weird how you and Arhaan are such jolly people whereas your elder brother is a khadoos."

He laughed at my statement and then spoke, "He's just a bit different from us. Mom says that our Dad was also the same. But Bhai is a good man, he loves us beyond our imagination. He may not be able to express it much through words but his actions do speak a lot. He's actually an amazing human being. Its the responsibilities that have made him a little tough from the outside but trust me, he is not what he looks like."

"Woah!" I said surprised, "I think you should write an essay on him," I joked and he chuckled. Hmm...so Mr. Khadoos has a soft side too. Hard to believe. Anyway, why do I care? I have got nothing to do with him. I'm only at his house for a month or so and then I'll leave. Till then I'd try to avoid him as much as possible.

"You know, Ashu," Ayan started speaking and I turned to him, "Bhai has worked really hard to achieve to achieve what he has now. He worked hard for his scholarship abroad and got it so that we don't have to pay for his studies. He even did a part time job there, working as a waiter for his pocket money. He invested smartly and earned enough profits, so much so that now he has bought this company."

"Oh," was all I could manage to say after hearing him. It was easy to figure out how much Ayan respected Ahan. He was like a role model to him I guess.

"Anyway, after I finish my college, I intend to do internship here. What about you? I heard you have your exams in two weeks?" he asked and I rolled my eyes at that.

"Yeah, I do. I've studied everything but I'm still a little nervous. I hope I don't fail," I gave him a nervous smile and he smiled back.

"You wont, don't worry. You have been a bright student ever since we were kids and I'm sure you will be a great doctor too. Just trust Allah and he'll make things easy," he suggested and I nodded at him.

"InshaAllah," I murmured, "what about Arhaan? When is he coming back?"

"I don't know. He'll take long, I guess," he shrugged and I nodded. "Let's go there," he pointed to the balcony and we started walking. The fresh air hit my face instantly, making me smile. The view looked mesmerising, as if I was looking at a painting.

"It's beautiful," I whispered for nobody to hear.

"You wanna have some coffee?" Ayan suggested and I turned to him.

"Yes, please," I nodded and Ayan called for someone named Asgar Bhai who turned out to be a middle aged man with his belly bigger that his entire body. He was the peon of the office, I realised.

"Please get us two cups of coffee," Ayan requested to which Asgar Bhai nodded and left us.

"Very respectful, I see, " I appreciated him and he nodded .

"Yeah, Bhai has ordered us to be very respectful towards the elders in this office, no matter what rank they belong to," he replied. Oh, okay. This guy really is a big fan of his brother and rightly so.