Chapter 14

Ashiya's PoV:

"I didn't know you could do dishes," I said as I walked into the kitchen. I had gone to Khala's room and found that she wasn't feeling well so I decided to make some soup for her.

"Hmm," was all I heard from the rock who was bending over the sink doing his work. This guy seriously needs some help...I mean how can someone stay in peace without talking to people? "Is that for Mom?" He asked as he saw me I cutting tomatoes into dices.

"Yeah," I replied and looked up. He was still looking at me.

"Don't put garlic in it," he said and I raised an eyebrow. "Mom does not like garlic in her soup," he reasoned and looked away. I just nodded and continued with my work.

.

.

.

It was after lunch when Khala and I were in her room looking at some old photos. She still seemed quite off but I didn't know if I should ask her or not. Even Arhaan seemed quieter than usual today. I hope everything is okay...

"This one was taken when I was in college," Khala said snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked at the picture she was looking at and saw an image of her in red kurti and off white trouser. She had a white dupatta placed on her head and a wide smile on her face. Along with her there were other women of her age too.

"Wow, you were so pretty back then," I exclaimed and she chuckled, "I mean, not that you ain't pretty anymore, MashaAllah, but you know,"  I winked. "Who's this?" I asked as I saw picture of a little boy who was wearing a tiger's costume. He looked cute and familiar.

"That's Ahan," Khala said smiling and I looked at her surprised, "it was clicked when he was 4."

"Unbelievable! He looks so cu.." I stopped as I realised what I was about to say. Khala laughed at me and spoke.

"Cute? Oh he was the cutest little munchkin back then," she said with so much love in her eyes, "and now he's a handsome young man."
I didn't say anything to that and she noticed it. Before she could ask me anything, I questioned.

"Is that you?" It was a picture with a young couple in it. They were smiling at the camera. The man looked like someone I know...but who? I took a closer look at him and then it struck me - he looked like Ahan!

"That's me and your uncle," Khala spoke softly.

"I'm sorry Khala I didn't..."

"Don't be, Ashu. It's nobody's fault," she said as a lone tear escaped from her left eye, "his memories are still fresh with me though..." she smiled weakly. I placed my hand on hers. She was constantly trying to fight back the tears that threatened to flow down from her eyes. "Your uncle was an amazing man...He was a perfect husband and a perfect father. You know, when Ahan was born, he distributed sweets to everyone in the hospital even though we were not so financially strong at that time. We didn't have much comforts back then, but his love for us was so much that he overlooked his own needs in order to fulfill ours. I still thank Allah (s.w.t.) for giving me a husband like him. I couldn't have asked for better..." By now she was crying softly in my embrace. I held her tight and rubbed her back in order to soothe her pain. I didn't stop her from shedding her tears for that would only make her feel heavier from inside.

"You miss him a lot, don't you?" I asked once she was calm but before she could reply, we heard the banging of the door. We looked up startled to see Ahan, standing near the door, his hand balled in fists and eyes glaring right at me.