114

NOVEMBER 2019

Awsten and Elle's few weeks together seem to have flown by; neither of them have let themselves think about Awsten leaving for tour too much, since they've wanted to make the most of the time they've had.

He flies out to Houston for rehearsals, a couple days prior to the start date of tour, and Elle decides to join him.

Mrs Knight rushes to the front door when they arrive at Awsten's family home, greeting Elle first, with the biggest grin on her face.

"Oh, Elle, honey," she hugs her tightly. "I have missed you!"

"Hi, Mom," Awsten waves from over her shoulder. "It's me, Awsten. Your son, your eldest child, your flesh and blood," he continues, dryly, as his mother lets his girlfriend out of her grasp.

"Hello, Awsten. My favourite son," Ginny pulls him into a hug, as he bends down to her height.

"I'm your only son," Awsten frowns, his eyebrows furrowed, and Elle giggles at his expression.

It's odd staying in Awsten's old bedroom again, now that he's been moved out for over a year, and Elle hasn't been back to his house for even longer than that.

Things are a lot different compared to the last time they were both in this room.

Awsten tucks each of their suitcases away, his being much bigger than Elle's obviously, before noticing that something has caught her eye.

"Is this mine?" She asks gently, as she turns around to face him.

Awsten then sees what she's holding; it's her t-shirt. He hasn't seen it since he left it here when he moved, but it only reminds him that one of the last vivid memories he has from this room before leaving, is crying into that very shirt.

"Uh, yeah," Awsten clears his throat, attempting to clear his throat. "Sorry."

"Sorry?" Elle's eyebrows dip together. "What're you sorry for?"

"Oh, uh, I just—" He pauses, letting out a breath, before closing the distance between them; Awsten rests his forehead against her's. "I cried so hard into that," he points to the t-shirt, still in her grasp.

Elle stares down at it, before looking back up at Awsten.

"I couldn't decide whether I wanted to pack it or not, when I went to LA," he continues, resting his hands over her's. "I should've, now that I think about it. Might've made it easier to sleep, and stuff."

Elle's heart aches at his words, so much so that she almost lets a small whimper escape her lips.

"Well, I guess, now you don't need it," she responds, placing the shirt back on the chair where she'd found it; Elle tilts her head up, brushing her nose against his, earning a small smile.

"God, I'm so fucking lucky to have you," Awsten whispers, lifting his hands to hold her face.

Elle cups his cheeks, too, gently pulling him down towards her lips.

//

Most days in Houston are spent at rehearsals.

Currently, Elle is sat in the middle of their rehearsal space, next to Jawn, while Awsten is laying on top of mountain of merch boxes.

"He's gonna fucking fall," she mumbles, lightheartedly, but still with an underlying tone of worry.

"It'll be his own fault," Jawn retorts, as the two of them watch Awsten try to stand up.