28

APRIL 2018

Once filming for the podcast is finished, Awsten and Elle's lives slip back into their more regular routines; usually consisting of working during the day, and spending most of their evenings together.

Elle's birthday is fast approaching and Awsten wants to do something special; not too special, since he wants to be able to top it in years to come, but special enough for her first birthday that he'll celebrate with her.

"So, are you not going home for your birthday?" He questions, as casually as possible, as he watches Elle potter around her kitchen.

"Do you not want me here, or something?" She retaliates, sarcastically, and Awsten frowns.

"No, no, of course I want you here!" He protests, closing the distance between them.

"I'm only messing, angel," Elle giggles as Awsten's hands slide around her waist, and she turns to face him.

"I definitely, definitely, want you here," he pouts, pulling her closer into a hug.

"You seem very keen," she smirks, running her hands subtly up his arms, to his shoulders. "D'you have anything planned?"

"Maybe," Awsten shrugs, a tiny smile playing on his lips as he looks at her. "Maybe not."

"Playing it cool, I see," Elle raises her eyebrows, stepping away from him.

"Don't give me that look," Awsten chuckles. "Hey, Elle," he reaches for her, but she steps further away, feigning ignorance, with a subtle smile. "Nora, come on, don't do that."

Elle turns her head away, dramatically, suppressing her grin, finding Awsten's reactions amusing, as she tries to walk out of the kitchen.

"Elle, come on," he laughs, taking off after her.

He catches her in his arms, holding her waist tightly, as she starts laughing.

"Awsten!" She giggles, as he pulls her impossibly close to him, and he buries his face against the back of her neck.

"Mm, not letting go," he says, firmly, as she squirms in his arms.

"Hi, you two," Taylor laughs, standing at the door, having just returned from work.

"Oh, Tay," Elle lets out a breath, once she realises she's standing there.

Instinctively, Awsten steps away, removing his arms from around her, and Elle hates the way her heart drops at the absence of his touch.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," Taylor smirks, raising her eyebrows at the two of them.

"Uh, no," Elle shakes her head. "We were just messaging around."

"I'm not interrogating you, chill," Taylor waves them off. "Awsten, don't look so panicked," he then feels some of the tension in his chest fade away, but not quite all of it. "As long as you don't have sex in my kitchen-"

"Okay, enough of that," Elle forces a smile, glaring towards Taylor, as she laughs.

She wanders off to her room, to change out of her work clothes, and Elle turns back to Awsten with a sigh.

He shuffles his feet awkwardly, leaning against the kitchen counter, and Elle thinks she'd have to be stupid not to notice the change in his demeanour.