3

FEBRUARY 2018

Elle heads to work in a daze, and the first half of her shift seems to breeze by uneventfully, yet painfully slowly at the same time; she hasn't had a moment to herself to think over what happened before she arrived, and she still can't quite believe it.

"Elle," Sarah, Elle's manager, calls, catching her attention. "You can go on your break now."

Elle sighs, glancing up at the time. "Why is this shift dragging so bad?" She leans her elbows against the counter.

"Have you got better places to be?" Sarah turns to her, with a hand on her hip and a warm smile.

"Maybe," Elle hums in response, and Sarah raises an eyebrow. "I'm not sure."

"That maybe sounds like a definitely," her lips curve into a smirk, and the thought of Awsten becomes even more prominent in Elle's mind.

Elle knows she won't go around telling everyone that she just bumped into Awsten Knight on the way here. She's sure he gets recognised in most places around Houston, and his name definitely wouldn't go unrecognised in Hot Topic, with Waterparks merch stacked just a couple of feet away from her, but she wouldn't want to be disrespectful; they've barely had one conversation, so she's treading carefully, not wanting to overstep any boundaries.

"I'm thinking," Sarah narrows her eyes at Elle, "predicting, actually, that you saw a cute boy, she wriggles an eyebrow.

Elle cringes at the expression, "it might be a bit too soon for that," she mumbles, feeling a small pit of guilt in her stomach.

The reasonable part of her knows that she shouldn't feel any sense of guilt; it's been almost three months now, surely she can call someone else cute, without feeling guilty for it - especially when that someone is Awsten Knight.

"Get out of your head, and get on your break," Sarah comments, lightheartedly though, bringing Elle out of her thoughts quickly.

She nods, as Sarah swiftly moves passed her to serve another customer, before Elle weaves her way to the break room.

Thankfully, there's no one else occupying the space, so she has the room to herself, allowing her a moment to breathe.

She lets the last couple of hours to catch up to her, finally, with her most prominent thought being, I have Awsten Knight's fucking phone number.

Elle has been a fan of his music, and just about everything about him, for over three years, and just a couple of hours ago, she casually bumped into him on the street.

She's not sure how she's going to wrap her head around it, but she feels bad for having to rush off so soon; she really wants to spend some time with him.

Her phone buzzes in her hand, as she takes it out of her bag, lighting up with a text from Awsten, and her heart skips a beat.

//

awsten knight
Hey! I just wanted to text
you to say, well 'hey'

And also because I said I
would.. But I hope you have
a good shift at work:)

🎯
hi! thank you, i'm glad
you texted me