Chapter 2

12 Years Later

The air feels stale and cold. I struggle to keep the tears in as my brother, Joseph, and cousin close the casket in front of me.

It was 2 years ago that dad was diagnosed with cancer. He gave up the business to my brother who was 25 at the time. He spent the rest of his days sailing with me, enjoying the sea that felt more like home to him than our own house.

My brother turns to me and approaches for a hug.

"He is with mom now, Kaia."

I nod. I pull away and look at him. He knows what I'm thinking and goes to say something but I cut him off.

"I can't wait. I need to go. I'm struggling to keep myself together in front of everyone."

Joseph sighs. "Okay, okay. Go ahead."

I turn from him and head for the door. The car starts and without hesitation, I peel out of there. Heading towards the docks makes it easier for the tears to stop falling.

By the time I pull into the parking lot, the tears are gone and I'm dashing for the old boat. The words "The Grey Storm"comes into view on the side of the sail boat.

The name is a reference to the Irey family's grey eyes. Like our dad, my brother and I have his eyes while I have my mother's pale blonde hair.

I jump into the boat and go below deck to change out of my black dress.

The bottom of the ship is packed with food and water for my trip. I plan to go to the cove that me and my father used to sail in. No one goes there so it's the perfect place to be alone. Just what I need for a few days to get away from everything.

I come out onto the deck and starts to prepare the sails and everything else before undoing the ropes that hold the boat to the dock. Using a pole, I push off from the dock and head for the cove.

Sailing is my escape like it was for my father. When I was 8 years old, he started to teach me how to sail. Now sailing is as easy as walking for me.

As I get closer to the cove, I think about the family business. My dad sold sail boats and now Joseph sells sail boats.

As I approach the cove, the water changes from a deep, cold blue to a light crystal blue. The arching stone around it makes the space seems small but it is just perfect for a sail boat this size.

Suddenly, I feel a shift in the wind. My hair begins to blow away from the cove and the sails twist suddenly, swinging over my head. I duck just in time and reach for the ropes to correct the sails. At first I hold it steady but then the wind picks up and rips the rope from my hands.

I am left baffled as the waves change too and begins to suck my ship to the place I never want it to go. Into the strongest part of the ocean where ships the size of mine should never go.

And I can't do anything about it.