Chapter 13

My mind starts to focus on a strange sounds. A squawking sound above my head.

My eyelids lift enough for me to notice a shadow go over my head. I start to move my body and my toes touch something cool and loose. Soil? No. It's too rough to be soil.

I open my eyes more and they are blinded by bright yellow sand. I can see my feet resting on it and from the angle I can see them at, I assume I am sitting up.

Beyond my feet is more sand that ends in light blue water.

I shift a little and notice that I'm sitting on something warm and comfortable. I look up to see Atticus's face. He is leaning against a tree asleep. I'm in his arms sitting bridal style. His arms are around me like he doesn't want to let me go.

I don't know what to do. I freeze and stare at my feet. I feel my face heating up and thank God that he is wearing shorts. I have no idea where he found them or if he just brought them with him when he left the boat.

I look at the sand in front of me and start to relax into his arms. I should be scared, I should be running. If he really did try to drown me then he probably won't be happy to see me awake.

But did he save me? I am so confused.

Here in his arms I feel safe. I feel comfortable and I feel... at home? His breathing makes me want to close my eyes and lean into him more. It's smooth and calm like the waves.

I decide to steal a glance at his face, wondering what he looks like asleep. My body freezes when I look up to see his blue eyes looking down at me.

They look so pained but relieved at the same time.

"Your awake" he says quietly.

I nod. His eyes change to a look of regret. I've never seen so much emotion in those pools of deep blue.

"I'm sorry." He holds me closer to his chest. "I promise to be there from now on."

I'm still confused as to why he cares so much. I thought he hated me for what I am. Why would he save me and act so kind all of the sudden?

"I'm... I'm sorry I made you mad" I say looking down at my hands.

"Don't be. I shouldn't be so selfish. I'll take care of you."

"A..." I stop myself from saying the name I gave him. I go to finish my sentence but he beats me to it.

"Call me that name, please. I like it."

"I thought you hated it."

"I was lying" his eyes change to a deeper blue and they look pained.

"Atticus. Did you... did you try to drown me?" I'm afraid of his response. I'm terrified to know what he was doing.

"Never!" It is so sudden and firm that I instantly believe him. "I would never do that. Why would you think that?"

"Because I thought you hated me."

"I don't hate you. That wasn't me in the waves."

I frown. "Wasn't you?"

He nods. "The ocean has a soul. I suspected it but I am more confident now that it brought you to me. This area I am keeping you in is my territory that I have been in for a long time. I saw how the waves were pushing you to where I was. It wasn't just you trying to escape the others but the ocean bringing and guiding you here."

"Why would it bring me to you, only to try and kill me?"

"I don't think it was trying to kill you. I think it was trying to keep you with me and to get me to come to you."

I am about to ask why me when he starts to move. At first he brings my head close to his chest and sighs. After a moment of holding me, he lets go and I stand up.

I look down at my arms and notice seaweed wrapped around my wrists and shoulder.

"I use that to heel myself. It works fast and I hope it will help your cuts."

All I can feel in the moment is thankful. Thankful for him saving me and wrapping seaweed on my cuts.

When I look up at him, I see a softness I have only seen on him for a second. This time it is staying and it's is stronger than it was before.

I feel my chest squeeze and I can tell that I'm blushing.

He starts to walk away and I follow after him. My head still hurts but I am determined to stay close to him.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"The island in my territory."

Oh, right. It is small but in the center is a bunch of dense bunches and trees. Most of it is pure white sand.

I begin to notice trash all over the island and in the trees. I feel pricks in my eyes as I realize that it's my stuff that is taking away the beauty of the sea and the island.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" He turns around.

"All the trash..."

He looks around. I start to think of my father's boat. Of how it's probably at the bottom of the ocean and the only thing that makes me feel safe is gone. I am stranded and stuck on this beach forever.

"You are worried about your ship" he says as a statement.

I nod.

"Follow me" he says, motioning for me to follow.