Chapter 4

The motor fails on me and I am left adrift in the water with absolutely no wind.

It's very odd that nothing is blowing but as the sun begins to set, I decide that I'll figure everything out in the morning. I don't have enough energy or light to keep sailing.

I change into something more comfortable and crawl into my small bed.

The whole time, I'm an on edge. Each little slap against the side of my boat from a wave makes me jump. I'm worried that those things will decide to sneak onto my boat at night while I'm asleep.

I get up and close the small door to my little cabin below deck. I slide the dead bolt in hopes to keep them out if my worst fear comes true.

As I start to drift off, one loud slap against the side of my boat. I frown and wonder why that one sounded louder than the red.

Losing the battle to sleep, I decide that I'm just being paranoid and it must be the waves...

His POV

I have been alone for centuries. Never aging and never growing hungry. Why I'm alive this long I have no idea. The sea just blessed me with eternal life. Or maybe it's a curse.

It sure seems like it. As I watch others of my species find their mates, I am left alone and forever longing for that special person. I envy every one of them with their stupid smiles. If I had a mate, I would treasure her and never let her go.

But I am left alone in this world. I have tried to live with the humans but they piss me off. They are nothing but stupid and destructive, not caring about the other creatures they share the planet with.

Just like others of my species, I despise humanity. I created this territory in the middle of the ocean to get away from them. I don't let anyone into my waters and if they are human, I crush them.

That's why I'm climbing onto this sail boat that trespassed into my territory. Whoever owns it isn't going to live to leave my territory.

As I slide into the boat, I will my tail to disappear. My species can change forms at will.

For a while I walk around the boat looking at everything. It is all neat and tidy for some old, lame sailor.

I decide to stop stalling and move in for the kill. As I approach the door to the cabin, I find it locked when I push on it.

Moving my hand and twisting my wrist, I summon water from the sea. Unlike others of my species, I was given both immortality and the gift to manipulate water.

The water in my hand seeps into the wooden cracks of the door and I hear the lock click. I push open the door.

The moment I do, a strong scent smacks me in the face. I have never smelled something so pleasant and powerful. The smell of honeysuckles wafts to me from the cabin.

In disbelief, I quickly enter the cabin to find the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. On a small cot is a girl. Her long blonde hair is spread over her pillow. I follow it to see other strands framing her face as she sleeps with her eyebrows furrowed.

Her face is so elegant and her skin is flawless. Her eyes are round and I start to wish to know what color they are. Her nose is small and her lips are full but in a modest amount.

Her frown deepens as she pulls her blanket closer to her face. I quickly close the door, hoping she wouldn't wake.

Now that the door is closed, I am left being suffocated by her smell. I squat next to her cot and watch her breath slowly.

So many things run through my mind. Why now? Why a damn human?

A part of me loves her already and will do anything for her. Another part of me doesn't want a human as a mate. I want to be cold to her and open the door even wider than it was before to see her shiver.

And I hate myself for feeling that way. I have spent all my life despising humans and the hate has only built. Now that the love of my life is before me as a human, I don't know what to do.

Fuck!

I curse myself for being so conflicted.

Suddenly, she starts to stir. She starts to breath heavily and pant slightly in her sleep. I realize that she must be having a bad dream.

I reach out and stroke her soft cheek. Instantly, she calms and leans into my touch. She may not know it, but her body has already accepted me.

I decide there that I won't ever let her go. I'll keep her in my territory to watch her. However, that doesn't mean I'll accept a human as my mate.