Chapter 23

The next morning, everything is still. There are a few birds but for the most part, everything is as I left it last night.

I get out of bed and put my hair up and go out to the deck. My mind hopes to see him sitting there and watching me like he used to. No one is there.

I pull in the anchor and start to set sail. The water changes from light blue to dark blue as I leave behind the place that holds so many memories.

Suddenly, there is a bump and my heart quickens. I run into the cabin to grab the spear and run back out.

My world stops as I see what came out of the water. Brown hair, tan skin, and deep sea blue eyes look back at me as his tail disappears.

I drop the spear and run to him, throwing myself into his arms. As we hold each other close, I punch myself to see if I'm dreaming. I'm not. I'm awake and he really is here.

"Atticus"I say while trying to hold back my tears.

"Kaia." His voice is bliss to my ears and I feel the air suck into my lungs.

My skin tingles as his hands slide down my back and lifts me up. I wrap my legs around his waist and slam my lips into his.

"I missed you, so much" he whispers.

"I had to come back and make sure you were okay."

"I've been so empty. I couldn't find where you had gone. I lost your trail so I have been swimming around, looking for the coast or for you."

"I'm sorry I didn't come back sooner" I say holding him closer to me.

"It's okay, Kaia. I can never be mad at you."

He kisses me and it starts to turn passionate. I pull away and look into those beautiful eyes. They are so rich with the sea that I find the words leaving my mouth before I even realize it.

"Cabin."

He doesn't have to make me say it again. He carries me to the cabin and lays me down in the cot. I pull him into me and keep our lips together as his hands go under my shirt and tail up to my bra. I feel the need to remove it all. I have never needed him more in my entire life.

He didn't put on any shorts when he shifted so only my clothes are in the way.

"Are you sure, Kaia?"

I nod. "Yes. I love you."

I pull him onto me and he takes off my shirt. I need him and he needs me. We can't be without each other and I let him explore every part of me. I belong to him as much as he belongs to me.

I give myself to him and promise to be with him for the rest of our lives.

•••

As the years progress, Atticus and I have realized that he has started aging again.

He has been helping me and Joseph run the business and every day, I take him to the cove me and my father used to go to. We swim together and I teach him how to sail.

Him and Joseph get along very well. I told Joseph the truth about Atticus. At first he didn't believe me but we showed him and he promised to keep it a secret with us.

Now as I feel the breeze on my skin and I look down from the top of the sail boat to see Atticus fixing one of the ropes to a peg, I feel the bliss I have been feeling with him.

He seems me looking and looks up to me with those handsome eyes of his. He climbs up to where I am and puts his hand behind my neck.

"I love you, Kaia" he says as his eyes turn a shade brighter.

I kiss him passionately and I don't let go as I join him in those pools of deep blue.