Chapter 7

The next day Emilie stayed home while JJ and John B went to see Lana Grubs. She wore black jean shorts, one of JJ's hoodies that he had been looking for and she swore she didn't have and her white converse. She walked downstairs and was greeted by her brother Bill eating cereal.

"I'm eating, leave" he said.

"Why?" She asked him.

"Because I don't want to throw up while I'm eating."

"Bro, we have the same face."

"Whatever."

She was standing at the kitchen island eating strawberries when she remembered the song.

"Have you ever heard that song that goes.
Children peekle keepoo dying?"

"No, but believe it or not it sounds familiar." Bill said.

"Really?" She said excitedly.

"Yeah, those are definitely not the right lyrics but the tune is right."

Just then her dad walked in.

"Hey hey hey, how are my best girlfriends." He says.

"What is that song that goes children peekle keepoo dying?" Emilie asks.

"Come again?"

"That's not how it goes," Bill says, "It's something about children dying and crying."

"Never heard of it."

"Yes you have!" Emilie yells,"It was on your playlist when we were little.

"I don't know" he told her.

"Whatever, I'm going to John b's" she said putting away the strawberries and grabbing her keys.

She drove to John B's listening to any song with Children or dying in the title. When she arrived only Kiara and Pope were there.

"Hey Em" Kie greeted her.

"Hi guys" She said, "So, Bill said he knows what song I'm talking about."

"What is it?" Pope asks.

"He doesn't know the title, but he says it sounds familiar."

"It's 'cause y'all have a twin connection."

The boys walk up the porch and JJ looks really flustered.

"You good bro?" Emilie asks him.

"When we where at Lana's the guys who shot at us where there. And we were right outside like this," he said sitting up against the wall. And all we hear is just, "Bam! Bam! Bam Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside. All right? And I'm just looking at him, like..."

"Wait, first off, look at this shit." He shook his head and little white flakes fall out.

"That's dandruff, disgusting." Kie said

Ew, JJ you have lice," Emilie pushed his head away, "You aren't allowed to sleep in the same bed as me anymore."

"Okay, thank you." Pope said.

"Look at all that. All right? That's paint. At that point, I was just, like... I'm waiting for death."

"Oh, okay, so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?"

"Yeah. Did you get a good description of them?"

"What did they look like? Anything."

"Anything we can bring to a police report?" Pope asks.