Chapter 2.4

The next day, JJ had convinced Emilie to do her online school in the library so that at lunch he could go and see her. The school bell rang and Pope, JJ and Kie came walking through the library door.

"Is this a game of tag?" Emilie heard JJ ask.

"I don't know." Kie said.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asked and the librarian shushed him.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane." Kie told him.

"Hey guys." Emilie greeted.

They sat down at the table that Emilie was at and Pope showed her an envelope that a man gave him while he was in class.

"Is that the symbol on the gold?" Emilie asked.

"Yeah," Pope said. "Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this. Read it."

JJ took it from Pope.

"Out loud." Kie told him.

JJ look at them. "I can't read cursive."

"Dumbass." Emilie said taking the envelope. "Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King street, Charleston at 8:00 pm sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards C. Limbrey." She read.

"Charleston?" JJ asked.

"I know, it's like an eight hour drive, plus the ferry, how are we gonna get there tonight." Pope asked.

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ said.

"I have a free period." Kie told them.

"My school is portable." Emilie said.

"Material evidence? What does that even mean?" JJ asked.

"It means he can clear John B." Kie told him.

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston." JJ said.

"I gotta tell my mom." Kie said, "Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe."

"Yeah, no duh."

Pope looked up the Limberys to try and get more information on him.

Pope sighed

"What?" Emilie asked.

"Im not sure, but I think whoever this Limbery person is, they might be related to the captain of the royal merchant." Pope said.

The four of them drove to Emilie's house so that she could tell her dad that she needed to go to Charleston. Emilie went in and her friends stayed in the truck. When she walked in the door she saw Kat sitting at the table painting her nails.

"Where's my dad?" Emilie asked.

"In his room." Kat told her.

She walked upstairs to his room and knocked on the door.

"Come in." Her dad said.

He was sat in his bed on his phone.

"Um... I have a question." Emilie said nervously.

"What?"

"Can I go to Charleston?"

"Charleston? With who?" He asked.

"JJ, Kie and Pope." She played with-her fingers.

"Why?"

She thought for a moment. "Pope got a letter, from the scholarship people and they want him to got to Charleston. I promise I'll be back in 24 hours tops."