TWO

The Administrative building was mobbed. Students swam through crowds of other students as faculty tried their best to distribute what appeared to be student IDs and room keys. There were two tables set up in the middle of the room, lines stemming from them. Two signs stood next to the start of the lines, one reading LADIES and the other reading GENTLEMEN. A few kids bumped into Ricky as they traveled to their respective lines. The boy was too flustered with his surroundings to even complain about being nudged. Instead, he simply slid across the floor to the boys line.

         As Ricky got closer to the front, he identified an older man at his table and an older woman at the other. Hovering near the woman's table were two girls dressed in matching polos and skirts. One was tall and lean, naturally curly hair secured in a bun. The other was much more petite, dark locks parted down the middle and falling ceaselessly over her shoulders. After a group of students were given a packet of papers, their ID, and room key, the older woman running the show would usher one of the two girls to accompany the students out of the building. By time Ricky was at the front of the line, he realized his table was paralleling that process.

         "Hello, young man," the gentleman at the collapsible table gave Ricky a stern nod. "My name is Dr. Mazzara, and I'm the Men's Dean here at East Highland. Can I get your name?"

         Ricky's eyes darted between the two well-dressed boys on either side of the table. Similar to the girls, each boy wore a red polo with the school's emblem. They both twinned in pairs of gray, pleated dress pants, but the taller brunette to Ricky's left flashed a complementary sport coat with Captain embroidered on the right chest. "Young man, your name, please."

         Ricky's focus shot back to Dr. Mazzara, who now wore a less friendly expression. "Um, Ricky," the boy stammered, pushing his shoulders back to appear less thrown. "Ricky Bowen."

         Dr. Mazzara skimmed a binder in front of him, pointer finger running down the page until it stopped. His dark brow furrowed, then he looked back at Ricky. "I don't have a Ricky, but I do have a Richard Bowen?"

         Ricky suppressed a laugh about the formality. "Yes, that's me," he confirmed, Dr. Mazzara proceeding to draw a line through the name. He unsealed a manila folder next to him labeled A–D, nose in the opening until he found what he was looking for. The Dean freed a lanyard with a corresponding ID dangling from it. Attached to the lanyard as well was a rusty gold key which clashed obnoxiously against the plastic ID holder as Dr. Mazzara stretched the lanyard across the table; Ricky took it willingly.

         "Here is your Leopoard Leash," Dr. Mazzara said as he handed Ricky the lanyard. Ricky was really fighting back chuckles following that cheesy name. "It has your Student ID and dorm room key that you will need at all times. Do not lose this, or else we will have to charge you for a replacement of any of the items."

         Ricky's eyebrows rose in surprise as Dr. Mazzara proceeded to hand him the packet of papers he had already been seeing distributed. "This is your welcome packet. Everything you need to know is in here, from a campus map to your schedule to upcoming events. Any questions?"

          Ricky shook his head, Dr. Mazzara failing to notice the confused terror still evident on the boy's face. "Alright," he smacked his lips, tapping the left side of the table. "Since you are a transfer, I'm going to have Sebastian here take you alone to your dormitory." The person named was the boy on Ricky's right, the one without the suit jacket but a head of bright blond hair.

         "You can follow me," Sebastian invited, a warm smile on his face as he waved for Ricky to make a move in his direction.

         Ricky glanced back at Dr. Mazzara quickly. "Thank you," he mumbled, but the Dean was already moving on to the next student in line.