FIFTY-SIX

          It was the day before East Highland Academy was closing for Christmas break, meaning Ricky had only a few hours remaining to propose his father's offer to Nini

It was the day before East Highland Academy was closing for Christmas break, meaning Ricky had only a few hours remaining to propose his father's offer to Nini. As they sat across from one another in the Bellevue Library, Nini taking cheesy Snapchats on Ricky's phone, the boy's mind raced. Of course he wanted Nini to visit his hometown, but he also didn't know what prompted his dad's interest. Was this a sign that things were finally okay with his parents? If not, would Nini be subject to a familial argument if she visited? The what-ifs were terrifying Ricky.

          "Okay, I'm done," Nini laughed, handing the boy his phone back, "but your story is looking ten times better now."

          Ricky chuckled at the playful wink the girl sent him as she settled back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest. "You wanna get food or something?" she asked him, twirling the ends of her currently wavy locks. "Dining hall has pizza tonight and I think it's actually gonna be cooked this time."

          In a leap of faith, Ricky decided to shoot his shot. "Yeah, but I wanted to ask you something first. It's totally okay to say no."

         "Are you gonna ask me to be your girlfriend?"

         Ricky's lips fell into an o-shape at the straightforward prediction from Nini. "Because if that's what you're gonna ask, you don't have to worry about me saying no," she added with a nose scrunch and complimentary grin.

          "Tha–that's, uh....," Ricky didn't know how to bounce back. It was ironic Nini suggested that, for Ricky had been toying with the idea for a while. They hadn't been a romantic "thing" for too long, but his feelings for her stretched back to the very beginning of the school year. He would be willing to take that next step, but he knew he needed time to feel out what Nini thought.

          Ricky apparently had been zoning out for too long, for Nini was shaking her head shamefully. "You weren't gonna ask that, were you?" she corrected. "God, I'm so embarrassing. Please ignore that."

         "No!" Ricky shrieked, gaining some distasteful glares from a few library patrons. His cheeks flushed pink as he lowered his voice, leaning over the table. "I mean, no, don't be embarrassed. That wasn't what I was gonna ask. Now, at least. If I'm going to....ask that....I would want to do it right."

         The butterflies that grew whenever Nini was around Ricky fluttered in her stomach as her lips continued to twitch upwards. That reassurance cured some of her embarrassment, but the hope that now ignited in her heart took over as the new overwhelming feeling. "Oh," she sucked her cheeks in. "Then what's up?"

         Ricky shifted in his seat. "My dad texted me about something, and I thought it could be fun, but only if you're up for it and not too busy. I know it's a lot to ask most likely, but I – "

         "What is it, Ricky?" Nini interrupted.

         Ricky nodded sharply. "Right," he pressed his lips together. "Would you want to come visit me in Salt Lake over the break? Whenever you want to come is fine with me. You could stay in our guest room. You wouldn't have to worry about anything but permission from your parents, of course."

         Nini's eyes lit up as possibilities swam through her mind – holiday cookie baking, tree decorating, gift exchanging, snowball fights, mistletoe kisses. All of the Christmas joy with the boy that brought her the most happiness. How could she say no? "Oh my God," she breathed. "That sounds like so much fun! I'm gonna text my moms right now. We always spend the days leading up to Christmas with my grandparents, but December 26th, count me in."

         As Nini scrambled for her phone, an adorable smile on her berry lips while she typed away on the screen, Ricky watched her with a soft grin. Okay, this is good, he thought to himself as he sighed with relief. This is good.