FORTY-TWO

          Every Thursday, Nini and her girlfriends shared the same lunch slot

          Every Thursday, Nini and her girlfriends shared the same lunch slot. Following her Calculus class, she strutted into the dining hall with a bright smile on her face. Ever since the showcase, she had been in the greatest of moods. It was rewarding to get to highlight her hidden talent in front of her moms, friends, and school. Plus, Nini had no complaints about sharing the monumental moment with Ricky. In fact, she had been spending an ample amount of time with him since that night. He was really growing on her, and she was never one to accept new friends in easily. It seemed like there wasn't a bad bone in his body, and he was someone that she felt she could confidently trust with her actions and feelings.

Once making her way through the lunch line, Nini headed towards the famous high table that she and her friends typically occupied. Seated already were Kourtney, Ashlyn, and Gina, noses all in their lunches and respective phones. Rather than hearing small talk about weed, sex, and missing homework, all Nini could hear was overwhelming silence. "Hey, ladies," Nini playfully greeted, placing her tray on the table and stepping on an open chair's foot rest to sit down. "How are we?"

         All three girls glanced up at Nini, faces empty. "Hey, Neen," Ashlyn smiled softly, sticking her fork in her salad.

         Nini's eyes darted between each girl as she took a bite of her crisp apple. "Uh, so," she began mid-chew, "my practice was cancelled after school. Would you guys wanna go to the café off campus?"

          This time, Gina peeked up from her phone at the cheerful brunette. She offered Nini a frog-like smile. "Sorry, I have rehearsal."

        "Really?" Nini questioned, head cocked. "You just performed at the showcase."

        "Yeah, well, that's the life of a captain, I suppose," Gina nodded cynically, eyes narrowing before she looked back down at her iPhone. It made Nini's brow knit in utter confusion over her attitude.

         "I can't either," Kourtney spoke up, practically whispering to the buttered pasta on her plate. "Homework."

Nini bit the inside of her bottom lip. "Hm, alright," she hummed. "Ash? I know you love that place."