FORTY

          The annual East Highland Academy Student Talent Showcase was a fall staple at the school

          The annual East Highland Academy Student Talent Showcase was a fall staple at the school. Despite the show beginning at seven in the evening, it was a whole day affair, especially for the performers. Every act was required to be present for a dress rehearsal, similar to their tech rehearsal, except the show is run in its entirety. Ricky and Nini were performing smoothly, but they both had underlying nerves that they felt could make them explode before the real show that night. Ricky was still on edge, now more than ever, as he and his duet partner waited in their dressing room to be called into the wings for their five minute warning. He was nervously plucking at his guitar strings while Nini paced the room, humming the song to herself and ensuring every run was perfected.

          Ricky tried to keep his mind off of what was bothering him, but he was an over thinker. Nini didn't make it any easier for him when she sparked anxious conversation, unintentionally triggering his anger as she took a seat in front of one of the vanities. "I can't believe my moms are gonna see me sing," she was baffled, staring at her reflection in the brightly lit mirror. She craned her neck over her shoulder, eyeing Ricky, whose posture somehow deflated more than it already had throughout the night. "I really wanna meet your parents after the show, by the way."

          Ricky's throat burned, heart stinging with every sharp beat. "I–I don't think that's a good idea," he mumbled to the Converse on his feet.

          Nini twisted around fully, now sitting so her chest was pressed against the back of the chair. "Why?" she objected, arms dangling over the chair back.

          "I just," Ricky gnawed at his lip, still unable to make eye contact with her. "I don't think it would be a good idea."

          Ricky's words were hurtful to Nini in a way. She was already to used to feeling inferior when it came to Charlie's parents. Now here she was with a new friend who appeared to be embarrassed to introduce her to his parents. Was there something wrong with her on the surface? If they knew how contrary she truly was to her good girl reputation, then of course she'd understand why they wouldn't want to meet her. But, she was certain she never slipped up to outsiders. Did Ricky tell his parents the truth behind her faux image?