EIGHT

          "Girl, just standing next to you makes me feel fucking high

          "Girl, just standing next to you makes me feel fucking high."

         It was a tradition amongst East Highland's elite to throw an end-of-the-summer, rooftop banger on the night before the first day of classes. The group kickstarted the annual event the summer going into sophomore year after they all became friends freshman year. Sure, they partied all the time, but there was something so electric about this party. It was incomparable to any other mid-year party, aside from Halloweekend and St. Patrick's Day, obviously. It started just as an exclusive event amongst the elite, but after word got around following sophomore year's pilot party, the junior year kickoff was jam packed. This year–senior year–topped them both.

         After a long yet fulfilling day of escorting students around campus and getting themselves settled in, the friend group arrived on the roof of Kingston with every intention to let loose. The benefits of sneaking onto the roof for parties were the ample space and ability to smoke without setting off any fire alarms that they would inside. The consequences were always out of sight at this kind of party. The group was too big, everyone neutralized; it would be impossible to bust everyone.

         Circled together near the roof's ledge, Nini, Gina Porter, and Kourtney Greene were all sipping on their Trulys without a care in the world. It was when Ashlyn Moon swiftly slid in beside Kourtney that made the dark-haired girl cough and acknowledge just how badly Ashlyn reeked. Ashlyn only slung an arm around Kourtney's shoulder, stealing her drink and taking a sip for herself. "You want a hit?" she licked her lips free from the remnants of the fruity beverage. "I'll bring it to you."

          "Yes, because I too would like to get crossed the night before classes," Kourtney scoffed, snagging back her Truly. "I've still got a brain."

         Ashlyn rolled her red tinted eyes, squeezing Kourtney's shoulder while whispering into her ear just loudly enough for the other girls to hear. "Isn't that why we're here?" her warm breath trickled down Kourtney's neck, causing her to heat up. She convinced herself that it was the alcohol inducing the sudden pumping of her heart; she had to.

          "I'm telling you, this shit....sucks sometimes," Gina slurred, leaning against the roof's railing. She dangled her Truly off the side, the can milliseconds away from slipping through her fingers. "There's just no one here that wants to go to the bell."

         "There are plenty of people, Gi," Nini finished off her drink, tossing the can to the ground. "You're just picky."

         Ashlyn and Kourtney both laughed obnoxiously, Gina agreeing with a tilt of her head. "Me? Picky?" she chuckled. "It's not picky when there aren't any more viable candidates."

         Kourtney's features scrunched as she eyed past Gina to the group of their guy friends. The one she was about to mention was upside down, friends hanging onto his legs as he completed his fourth keg stand of the night. "Why not EJ?" Kourtney suggested, trying to hold up Ashlyn as the girl started dozing off in her arms.

         Gina rubbed her hands across her face, shaking her head. "You're insane," she breathed. "I'm not fucking EJ Caswell. We've been over this so many times."

         "Then live in your sex drought until you miraculously come across a hot transfer tonight that's willing to go to the bell," Nini crossed her arms defiantly, her drunken self tired of Gina's stubbornness. "I don't know what to tell you."

         "The guy's one of my best friends," Gina pouted, "and he's also the biggest piece of shit I know. Not to mention there is no shot that dude is clean. At least with randos, there's a higher chance they might be."

         Ashlyn alerted briefly, pointing tiredly at the taller girl. "And you're clean?"

         "Yeah, I fucking am, Ash," Gina groaned, biting the inside of her cheek as she briefly entertained the hypothetical of sleeping with EJ. That seemed crazy enough, nevermind going to the bell with him. She gave herself a subconscious smack upside the head for even imagining the thought. Freeing herself from her clearly delusional mind, she nodded towards Nini next to her. "And what are you still doing here? I bet Charlie's already naked at the bell for you."

         Nini hugged herself as her friends kept teasing her. "Literally!" Kourtney drunkenly cried. "His lips have been all over you tonight."

        "She's right," Ashlyn nodded slowly. "I'll....I'll go tell him you'll meet him."

         Nini grabbed Ashlyn's arm, stopping her from making any moves. "What you can do is go get us some Jell-o shots, and then I'll find Charlie on my own," Nini happily ordered, Ashlyn agreeing with a sloppy grin before disappearing.

___

         The girl knew tonight would be the only night she would be able to party hard. With her cheer season beginning next week, Nini would have to dial it down at parties to ensure she didn't get caught for breaking conference rules of illegally drinking during season. So, after her and her girlfriends left their group, they joined the majority of the party in dancing, shots, taking a few hits of various juuls that were being passed around. Eventually, Nini found herself back in her boyfriend's arms and being tugged away from the crowd.

          Her and Charlie approached the Kingston Bell with goofy smiles and spiraling minds. "First bell of senior year," Charlie pressed his lips to Nini's ear before dragging her behind the massive, copper bell that was East Highland's staple.

          "How....romantic," the smaller girl pushed down on his shoulders, getting him to meet the ground so she could straddle him.

          "Romantic?" Charlie lowly muttered, securing the girl by her waist and flipping her so he now hovered over her delicate frame. He latched his lips to her collarbone once before brushing them against her own. She breathed heavily underneath him, eagerly beginning to play with the ends of his shirt. He smirked subtly, Nini reciprocating.

          "Sex at my relative's bell is far from that."