SEVENTY-FOUR

An East Highland Academy graduation was always the biggest event of the spring in Vermont

An East Highland Academy graduation was always the biggest event of the spring in Vermont. Broadcasted by multiple local television stations, the ceremony occurring on the campus green was one of prestige and repute. The event was a simple one, opening with a procession of the graduates and a speech from the president. Afterwards, the distribution of diplomas occurred shortly followed by the valedictorian speech. Then, with final words from the deans and a flip of the tassel, the graduates were off and the ceremony would conclude. It was a nerve-wracking and emotional day for everyone to say the least, but as Nini paced back and forth in her assigned entrance line, she couldn't help but deem herself the most anxious student that afternoon.

The lines were coordinated alphabetically, so the closet friend Nini had to her was Carlos, the boy only a few students ahead of her. When he looked over his shoulder to find the brunette cheerleader mumbling to herself, he swiftly left his spot in line to console her. "Nini," he said, grabbing the girl's worried attention. "If you walk anymore you're gonna dull your heels."

         Nini's head shot up from the ground, pulling her fingernails that she was gnawing on from her mouth. "Oh....I–uh....I'm okay," she answered a question Carlos didn't even pose. She paused her pacing to fix her her gown. "What–what's up with you?"

         Carlos' brow squirmed. "Checking in on the basket case that is my friend."

         "I–I'm fine," Nini sighed, laughing cynically. "Just have to go up there and give my speech in front of pretty much all of Vermont. Easy peasy."

         The dark-haired choreographer placed his hands on Nini's shoulders. "You're the only person that could do the job," he reassured with a smile. "In Nini we trust."

        Nini giggled bashfully, bowing her head. As she did so, Carlos peeked behind him at the front of the line. When he saw that familiar head of curls swaying in the line to catch a glimpse of Nini, Carlos turned to the girl again. "I think there's someone that wants to wish you good luck."

         The girl rose her brow as she stood on the tips of her toes to see past the crowd. Her eyes soon landed on Ricky, the boy waving at her with an optimistic grin. Nini smiled wide as he placed his fingers to his lips, blowing the girl a kiss followed by a mouthing of "break a leg." Nini reciprocated the gesture, sighing with relief after Ricky turned back around in preparation to start walking.

         Nini looked back to her friend before her. "Thanks, Carlos," she put her own hands on his elbows. "I–I think I've got this."

___

         Every senior sat in their plastic lawn chair with hope in their eyes. When President Jackson came to the podium, fixing the glasses that rested on the bridge of his nose, the graduates straightened in their seats in anticipation for the distribution of diplomas. President Jackson began with a remorseful statement that acknowledged the absence of one legendary student in particular, the words sending chills down Nini's spine in the crowd.