- ONE SHOT: A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

"You know, I kind of hate myself for this," whined a preoccupied Georgina Porter through FaceTime. "I said I was gonna shop ahead of time, yet here I am on Christmas Eve, scrambling to get some sort of soccer toy that'll suffice for my fiancé."

Nothing was to beat a holiday season in New York City. From the iconic tree lighting up Rockefeller Center to the weather dressing Times Square like a snow globe, no place did Christmas better than the city, and it only added fuel to Nina Bowen's love for the season which meant so much to her. The infamous cheerleader turned amateur singer grew up engrossed in Christmastime in her childhood New Hampshire home, but the holiday became even more meaningful due to her senior year of high school at the notorious East Highland Academy. Not only was it a turning point on her unexpected journey towards true self-discovery and acceptance, but it was the time in which she first began dating her now husband, Richard Bowen.

          Although Highland, Vermont, meant so much to the two lovebirds, New York was made for them. Between Ricky's authorship and Nini's gigs, the Big Apple was the perfect fit for their careers and their love. Combine that with the city's perfect execution of Christmas, there wasn't a flaw either of them could find in New York.

Nini was walking the streets herself, making her way back to her and Ricky's shared apartment as she entertained one of her best friends on the phone. Nini watched and listened intently, feeling like she was right beside Gina in a Los Angeles, California, mall as the brunette dancer searched desperately for a Christmas gift to give her soon-to-be husband, Ethan Caswell. "This is funny to me because he is your fiancé whom you've known for years, yet still all you can associate with him is soccer," Nini giggled as she navigated the familiar streets of snowy SoHo. "We're not in high school anymore, Gi. EJ has evolved as a person."

"Of course, because you know everything about evolving as a person, Miss Rockstar," Gina teased while she picked up what appeared to be a blanket covered in soccer balls.

"I would say I do," Nini smiled wide, processing the joke with a light grin. "That's a cute blanket...for a toddler."

Gina rolled her eyes. "EJ is a toddler. Besides, I have his big gifts done, so I just need some little gag ones."

"And is one of those big gifts that trip to the Hamptons you were theorizing?" Nini pried with a raised brow.

Gina smirked. "Perhaps it is."

Nini squealed. "Yes! Portwell and Rini reunion!"

"I feel like this gift is more so benefiting us than him, but oh well!" Gina laughed, beginning to make her way through the rest of the store.

"That's not true," Nini smacked her lips. "Besides, Ricky and EJ always prove us wrong in how excited they are to see one another."

Instead of laughing at what Nini had to say, it was silence from Gina on the other end of the line. Nini was looking forwards at the busy sidewalk, presuming Gina would react, but when she didn't, Nini dropped her head in assumption that connection might've been lost. When Nini saw Gina's blank face staring at the screen, the girl almost froze herself. "Gi?"

The curly-haired girl shook her head, as if she was freeing herself of whatever had just distracted her. "Speaking of Ricky," she began, tone indicating that she was about to tread lightly with whatever was to follow, "how are you guys doing? You know, after the news? Have you tried since?"

Nini's heart skipped a beat at the reference to the medical news she had received a few weeks ago. Not because it had left her mind, but because it was the only thing which consumed it.