TWENTY-EIGHT

Charlie Kingston was shooting daggers at the dumbstruck transfer that walked next to Nini. When his girlfriend questioned his presence, Charlie tried to wipe off his irritation that the strange boy inflicted, for he knew that he couldn't have his priorities twisted if he were going to succeed in making up with Nini. He swallowed hard before speaking.

          "Neen, I've been trying to get a hold of you for days," Charlie pointed out with worry, standing up straight after previously leaning against Nini's door. The brunette girl and the curly-headed kid slowly approached Charlie, Nini taking more initiative and deciding to stop fully in front of him.

         "I've been busy," her jaw was tight as she looked up at his distressed features.

         Charlie reached to grab Nini's hand, but she slyly hid it behind her back before he could even graze her skin. It made the boy sigh in defeat and misunderstanding. "I just need to talk to you, Nini. Please."

        Nini looked carefully between her boyfriend and Ricky Bowen, the former face pleading "talk to me" and the latter begging "help me." She gestured back towards Ricky. "I had plans, Charlie."

         The statement made Charlie habitually roll his eyes, the act enough to light a fire in Nini. "Plans with another guy?" Charlie sneered.

         "Oh, don't even go there," Nini groaned, pushing Charlie aside so she could unlock her door.

         "Give me ten minutes, Nini," he begged, Nini's hands freezing on the door handle. She looked back at him and then reluctantly nodded, knowing that in reality, it was now or never. She pushed the door open just as a relieved sigh escaped his lips.

         As Charlie slipped into Nini's room, the girl turned around quickly to see Ricky just as paralyzed as he was when he first saw Charlie. Nini's face softened, genuine sorrow in her eyes. "I–I'm really sorry," she whispered with a grimace, bobbing her head towards the inside of her room. "I've gotta handle this."

           Ricky shook his head, not out of disapproval, but to melt the ice from his body. "Don't worry about it," he assured, clutching onto his backpack straps. "You should talk to him."

          Nini gave him a small smile. "We can do that mac & cheese dinner another night, if you're up for it?"

          Ricky's lips twitched upwards, although he wanted to play it cool that her willingness to reschedule didn't flatter him. "Yes, yeah," he agreed happily. "You've got my number."

          "Actually, I don't."

          Ricky tensed up again, cursing himself for the awkward blunder; Nini only giggled. "But I'll get it from you soon. I've got your Instagram," she winked as she repeated his tone in the mocking sentence.

         The boy released a satisfied breath, mouthing goodbye as Nini spun around, entered the room, and closed the door. Ricky hovered outside it for a few seconds longer, part of him wondering if maybe she'd open it again, find him with his feet bolted into the ground, and confidently turn Charlie away due to her appreciation for Ricky's dedication. He couldn't figure out just why he felt compelled to stay close to the popular brunette girl, but he toyed with the idea what it was because of her subtle, mysterious undertones. There was so much about her that he wanted to piece together, and he was thankful that he already started that process on paper.

          But, the odds were never in Ricky Bowen's favor, so as he sulked back to the stairwell, he hoped that at least one thing could go right tonight – Nini would gain the courage to speak her mind.