FORTY-FIVE

Gina had been on edge ever since that night with EJ. She was excited for Halloweekend, since the infamous three-day party life would allow her the chance to let loose and wipe her stressed mind clean. She was happy that EJ didn't bother her on Thursday or Friday, but she knew a time would come where he'd try to drunkenly talk to her on Saturday. As she chilled unbothered in one of the first floor hallways, she realized that time would be when he exited the bathroom and ran into her accidentally.

"My bad," EJ put his hands up, heading rising to see who he just collided with. When he met Gina's angry eyes, his sympathy faded. "Oh."

"Don't "oh" me," Gina growled under her breath, trying to go back to her conversation with some of the girls she was standing with. But, she didn't get far, for EJ quickly snatched her by the wrist, dragging the girl back into the bathroom.

"What the hell?!" Gina shrieked as EJ slammed the door on the two of them. "Don't fucking touch me. Open the damn door!"

EJ pressed his back against the door as Gina began to pound on his chest. "We have to talk," he huffed, taking her punches against his rock solid abs like they were nothing.

"I'm not talking to you," Gina stopped hitting him, eyes reading that she wanted to strangle him.

"Can you just stop?!" EJ cried, getting Gina to settle down slightly. "Stop being pissed off at me for something that has absolutely nothing to do with you."

Gina froze for a moment before breaking out into cynical laughter. She turned away from him, sulking to the other side of the bathroom with her hands in her hair. "You are so delusional," her words sent a chill down the boy's spine. "Are you that dumb, EJ?"

When EJ didn't answer, Gina spun on her heel, flailing her arms. "Not only does that shit fuck with your body, but you seriously think that you're not good enough for yourself without it? Tell me the truth."

EJ's head hung, regret overtaking him just as his loose hairs flopped over his eyes. "It doesn't matter if I'm good enough for myself," he was slurring his words by this point, alcohol-induced sadness being one of his least favorite experiences. "My dad....I need to juice up to be good enough for him. To get to Duke."

Gina was always familiar with EJ's desire to play soccer at Duke University, but she always figured it was a personal goal. She didn't know his father was pulling the strings this tight. She found herself shuffling closer to him as he talked. "I'm not strong enough naturally. I need to take these sick shots to even have a chance at Duke. Those guys can do that shit on their own. I need the steroids to get a spot, and if I don't, my dad won't let me live it down. I know it. He's said it."

Gina's hand brushed against one of EJ's, her touch comforting on his shaking skin. "EJ," her voice was gentle, allowing EJ's beat red eyes to look into her chocolate ones, "if the real you isn't suitable for your dad, it doesn't meant the real you can't be suitable for yourself."

EJ was embarrassed, barely wanting the also drunk Gina to attempt a motivational speech. But, the more he thought about his future in that moment, the weaker he felt; he needed someone to catch him when the weight became too much. "A college doesn't define you," Gina continued, her own words laced with Svedka. "A sport doesn't define you. I know it's much easier said than done, but you don't have to live for other people. Live for yourself."

You don't have to live for other people. The advice rang through EJ's ear drums, causing him to see the light bulb flick on in his brain as he looked at Gina once more. "I–I think you can," EJ started, more nervous than he's ever been. "Live for other people, that is. Live for other people and yourself. I think that....if you find the right people to live for, that satisfies living for yourself."