7 - A Brief History Of The Past

Trikka walked out from the kitchen with a plate in hand. On top of the plate were two bowls that both had small purple and green objects in them.They looked almost like small pebbles. She gave the table a slight brush and placed the bowls on top.

"I'm guessing you two have never tried pich before?" she asked.

Ko and Fischer both shook their heads.

"Oh, go on, try one. You don't know what you're missing out on. They're so nice," Quin stated, eagerly taking a few of the small pieces in her hand. Fischer followed, seizing a single piece. 

"Are they like a plant or something?" He asked, rolling the pich in his fingers and inspecting it.

"They're a plant native to Xarder. They're practically all over the southern hemisphere. Taste great though," Kori replied, chewing on one. 

Seeing no harm in trying one, he shrugged slightly and popped it into his mouth. At first there was no taste. But as he chewed a little longer, he felt his mouth explode into flavour. It tasted almost like sugary lollies from Earth, a sweet tingle running down his tongue. 

"So? What do you think?" Quin asked. 

"Yea, I can see why you like them so much. They're really nice!" he exclaimed, grabbing a few more.

Looking over at Ko to see what she thought of them, he was a little surprised to see that she had nothing in her hand and wasn't chewing anything either. 

"Hey, you not going to try one? They're actually really good," Fischer said holding one up.

She shook her head, eyeing Quin slightly.

"I'm not hungry," she stated.

Fischer frowned slightly at her statement. It had been over two days since they last had proper food. And she was saying she wasn't hungry?

"You sure? You need to eat Ko. How can you not be hungry? We haven't had anything in days."

She continued to stare at Quin, seemingly lost in her own thoughts.

"Suit yourself. All the more for me then," Kori jested, taking another handful. 

After scoffing them down, he turned his attention back on to the two of them. 

"Now, back to business," he said. 

Fischer sat upright slightly, intrigued by what he had to say. Kori took a deep breath in before his next few words, almost like he was trying to figure out what to say next. 

"Do. . . do you. . . are. . . are you aware of your race's history Fischer?" He vacillated. 

Fischer paused for a second, unsure of what to make of the question. 

"Uh. . . yea, I mean I know the general story. Why?"

"What do you. . . think. . . happened?" Quin asked, the same caution in her voice as Kori's

"Well. . . we evolved from apes and all that. . . then we progressively got more intelligent and resourceful. We had different ages and that eventually led us to where we are now. Again though, why?"

Kori had a very conflicted look on his face. His snout was wrinkled slightly and his mouth was puckered inwards. Quin shared similar features, biting her own lip. 

"This. . . might come as a bit of a shock to you Fischer. But. . . what if I told you that story is only a tiny fragment of humanity's evolution?"

Both Fischer and Ko looked at each other briefly. A similar look of confusion began to overtake his face.