38 - Dark Descent

"Well, you guys have fun with that," Spatch jested. Without hesitation he took a few steps forwards and raised his gauntlet up to the roof of the chasm. With a quiet 'thunk' a line of cable along with the razor sharp head of the grapple hook shot out and lodged itself firmly into the wall. The veranah gave it a firm tug to ensure it was in place before turning around, giving Tonner a sarcastic salute and swinging himself across the chasm.

The griflock narrowed his menacing eyes. He marched towards the bridge, pushing past Ko who looked like she was about to cross. He stomped his way across the bridge with ease, seemingly ignorant to the fact he was dangling above an enormous chasm with nothing but a thin line of rock between him and a painful death. Fischer gritted his teeth as he watched pebbles fall from the bridge and tumble down below, waiting for the entire structure to snap. But snap it did not, and Tonner made his way to the other side. He approached a sheepish looking Spatch, towering above him. His fists were clenched and his jaw was locked, but he restrained himself. Carrying around a dead weight would only hinder their progress and the sooner they were done, the sooner he could go home.

Ko was next, edging closer to the cliff face. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in, her mind racing around as she tried to force the images of her falling to the back of her mind. One in particular stuck out to her, the menacing laughter and beady white eyes of Lust waiting for her below.

Fischer approached, gently grasping her lower arm.

"Hey, you got this. Just like last time alright?" He whispered. She nodded silently and gave him a wobbly smile before turning back to face the bridge.

With her heart racing, and all eyes on her, she began walking across the bridge.

On the other side, Quin moved to the front of the group, ready to catch her once she got across. The zapher was almost there, speedily moving across the bridge, when a sudden noise stopped her in her tracks.

Spatch and Tonner whipped around as an ear piercing roar erupted from deep within the cave. The same roar they had heard outside, back at the darkhouse.

It seemed to almost shake the walls, loud enough to send vibrations shuddering through the floor. Fischer clenched his eyelids shut and covered his ears, a painful ring scratching at his head.

Quin had briefly turned her head to see what it was that made the noise, but the frightened yelp of Ko snapped her back to the bridge where she saw her friend waving her arms around, desperately trying to keep herself on the platform. Without any thought, the carcan made a mad dash towards her.

She reached out a hand just as Ko slipped and caught her cloak as she fell. However the bridge was as thin as a needle, and the momentum of Ko falling ripped her balance from under her. In an instant she was pulled over the edge, losing her grip on Ko and plummeting down into the inky blackness alongside her.

Spatch and Tonner were still facing the black doorway that led deeper into the cave, unaware of what had just occurred behind them. However Fischer's cries as he witnessed two of his friends falling caught their attention.

"Oh shit," Tonner blurted as he turned to see Fischer kneeling down at the edge of the cliff.

In an instant Spatch pulled his gauntlet out and aimed his grapple, but Tonner's huge hand blocked him.

"No, they've already fallen down. There's two of them, you can't pull them both up."

Spatch narrowed his eyes and an angry frown curved across his face. He was about to yell at Tonner, however another sound caught their attention.

'Splash'.

--\/--